Thursday, November 10, 2011

ROASTED CHICKEN OVER FALL VEGGIES


Posted by PicasaThis was a juicy succulent chicken. The best part was the vegetables. This is what I did.
Ingredients needed.
One roasting chicken
1 each of yam, sweet potato, russet potato
1 onion, 4 large cloves of garlic,
4 carrots(however use whatever root veggies are your fave)
1 pepper of your choice. I used a cubano(mild with a hint of spice)
extra virgin Olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted room temperature butter
1 teaspoon Italian spices
1 teaspoon cumin
kosher salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
paprika


Chop all the veggies in approximately same size pieces. Use the garlic cloves whole. Put all in baking pan and drizzle with the olive oil and mix.
Mix butter with the Italian spices and garlic powder in a small bowl. Lay the chicken breast side up on top of the veggies and tie the legs. With your fingertips loosen the skin of the breast and rub some of the butter mixture under the skin. Then rub  the butter mixture rub over entire chicken. Any remaining butter dab onto the veggie mixture. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste over the veggies and chicken and then sprinkle paprika over the chicken. This will make a pretty deep red on the crust as well as adding flavor.
Put in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 375 degree's and roast until a instant read thermometer inserted into the chicken registers 165 f and the vegetables are tender about one hour.


That is it! Easy and so delicious. 


Tonight we are having chicken taco's with the left over chicken. The taco's is why I baked the chicken in the first place. 
So I will take that chicken tonight and shred it and sprinkle it with cumin add a bit of mild salsa and simmer in a frying pan to make it a little moist and add a tad of spice. Sometimes if we feel like some real heat we will use hot sauce or cayenne or whatever will give that heat boast.
Then we will load the crispy taco's with the usual, grated cheese, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and a dollop of sour cream and more hot sauce if desired. I am making pinto beans but not from scratch tonight.
I will just open a can of pinto beans and drain and rinse them. Put them into a skillet add a little salt, pepper, cumin and about a 1/4 cup of milk. Then when heated I will slightly mash some of the beans to break them open. They will be creamy that way. If you like your re-fried beans thinner just add more milk. We are going to have some guacamole and chips for a little appetizer. Hubbies favorite kind of meal. Now this man of mine is Hungarian, but he surely loves his mexican food.
So now that whole chicken has provided us two easy dinners.


It will not be long and I will start planning our Thanksgiving fare. It appears there will just be four of us this year. I am hoping for dry cold weather so we can use our fire bowl outdoors for evening campfire under the stars. That is fun in the evening with full tummy's to sit by the warm fire with a drink of choice and chat, reminisce and tell tall tales.


My daughter was here this past weekend. We had a grand time. I so love having her here with us. She surely brightens my small world. My Mother used to say the same to me. She would say, Zo you just bring so much energy and life to my little life. Generation to generation I guess is the same.


I do have a few things to attend to this afternoon. I have not been diligent about blogging lately but I have been busier than usual. I will do better in the future.
Till next time.














No comments:

Post a Comment