Tuesday, March 22, 2011

ASPARAGUS POPOVER

This was fun to make and good to eat! Took no time at all.
We have been eating so much asparagus these past few weeks. It is so small and tender and the price has been amazing. Cheap!
I will make this recipe again. It is out of 'Everyday with Rachael Ray" mag. Here is the recipe.
Asparagus Popover.
1 pound of asparagus
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs at room temp
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of sugar
paprika for sprinkling on top
1 cup loosely packed Gruyere or Swiss cheese

Position rack in bottom third of your oven and preheat to 425 degrees
In a med saucepan add cleaned asparagus and add water just to cover. Cook until crisp tender and remove from pan and drain and rinse in ice cold water, pat dry with paper towels. Cut the spears into thirds.
In a medium cast iron skillet, add the butter and stick in the oven to melt the butter(do not burn the butter) just takes a few minutes to melt it.
In a medium bowl microwave the milk on high for 30 seconds. Whisk in the eggs, flour, salt and pepper and the sugar till well blended. Add the asparagus pieces to the cast iron and pour the batter over the top and sprinkle half of the cheese over the top and then sprinkle paprika. Bake until puffed about 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven top with remaining cheese and slice and serve.

This is very similar to a baby German pancake. We make those quite often. I will do the recipe and photo soon for one of those as I am getting so hungry for one. My daughter brought me the best pure maple syrup I have ever tasted, I have a craving for that baby German........what can I say?

We have partially clear skies here today. Makes this gal happy.
Hubby is putting in a long day today so I have the day to myself and I need to accomplish a lot of things. I also need to take a nice long walk and see what has sprouted up in neighboring yards. I have not walked for a couple of days so there will be new things to look at. This time of year all changes so fast it seems. I am anxious to get out and weed the garden beds. It is to soon though as weeds would find their way back before planting time. So best do it just once as I am not crazy for weeding. I just get so antsy wanting to be outdoors and do something, anything at all.

Have a nice day wherever you are and whatever you are doing. Make this popover if you like asparagus it is good, just a chicken breast along side or something else simple is good as the popover is the star. It is tasty with a splash of hot sauce drizzled over it or if you prefer a squeeze of lemon.

Till later.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment