Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Good morning,
I had a great visit with my brother yesterday on the phone. He lives in Washington state with a view of the mighty Columbia river that divides Oregon and Washington. Actually where he lives is almost directly across the river from where we lived on the Oregon side all those years ago on the farm. If my brother drives down the road a tad he can see the roof of our old barn that still stands. He is waiting for spring to come also. He has been trying to get to a special lake that he enjoys so much. It is on the way to Mt. St. Helen's, you know the volcano that blew it's top in 1980? When you are out on the lake you can see Mt. St. Helen's looming with it's shattered top and also Mt. Rainer posing in the distance. My husband and I are going camping at that lake with my brother in the early fall. I will be doing the cooking of course and I look so forward to the preparation of good simple food enjoyed outdoors.
At night we will fall asleep under a blanket of glittering stars listening to the gossip of frogs and crickets.

Well onto tonight's dinner in Zo's kitchen. We are having salmon cakes. I really call this my 'go to' fish cake recipe as I use it for fresh seafood as well as canned fish. Tonight it is canned Alaska pink salmon that I am using.
Zo's Fish Cakes:
1 15oz. can of salmon skin removed and boned.
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced onion
one half Anaheim pepper seeded and minced
four basil leaves minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon horseradish
approximately 2 tablespoons bread plain crumbs or enough to hold the mixture together.
1 cup of panko crumbs
canola oil for frying
lemon wedges

Mix all the ingredients except the panko crumbs in a bowl.
Put the panko crumbs in a flat bottomed bowl and set aside.
Scoop up the mixture with a serving spoon and with your hands mound a patty onto the spoon.
Gently drop the mound of mixture into the panko crumbs and pat until it is covered all over with panko, be delicate. Set aside on a plate that has been lined with wax paper and continue making the patties. When all are made put in the refrigerator for at least a hour to chill.
Heat the oil in a flat bottom skillet and when the tip of a wooden sizzles when dipped into the oil it is perfect. Gently pick up the patty with a spatula and spoon to help ease it into the oil continue on with all of the patties. You can only turn these once so make sure they are well browned before turning them. Being careful turning them or they will fall apart. I use the spatula and spoon again. Once you get on to it, it is easy.
Remove to a parchment paper lined plate when both sides are browned and crisp. I prefer parchment instead of a paper towel as the parchment paper does not limp the patty in any way but yet it does absorb any excessive oil.
These are wonderful served with a simple aoli sauce or if you like a bit of heat with a firecracker sauce. Serve lemon wedges along side.

Easy Aloi sauce.
1/3 cup mayo
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
Mix all together.

Firecracker sauce(hubby's favorite)
1/3 cup mayo
1 tablespoon chili paste(I like Sambal Oelek) this can be found in the asian food isle of your grocery store.
1 teaspoon horseradish
salt and pepper to taste

I like to serve the fish cakes with my Mothers's coleslaw and her coleslaw dressing. I am always asked to take this coleslaw whenever I go to a gathering.

Marta's coleslaw and dressing
Shred a small head of cabbage or if you prefer use bagged coleslaw mix
Shred two carrots
Shred 1/3 cup onion

Dressing.
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon celery seed
salt and pepper to taste.
Mix all together and pour over coleslaw and mix well.
Sprinkle a little paprika and minced fresh parsley if you have it on hand over the top
Now I do have a disclaimer of sorts. I always just plop these dressing ingredients into a bowl and do not measure. So I hope these are the right ratio's. What you should do is taste, and if it is to sweet add a little more vinegar if to tangy add more sugar. You will get used to what you prefer and you can always extend it by adding more mayo. It is a good simple dressing that is creamy and tangy.


Well my morning is slip sliding away. I still need to walk it is misting outdoors right now. I will not get wet just damp. Spring, oh spring please come.




No comments:

Post a Comment