Saturday, May 22, 2010

We woke to rain, then it showered, then it rained and now the sun is shinning. However there is a front of low gun metal gray clouds rolling in from the west. So the showers will be here before you know it.
So I decided as I had to stay in today to make it count. I have a roasting chicken in the oven now to use in my chicken tortilla casserole this evening. I will serve that with a simple green salad and dressing. I am also going to make what is called a lemon pie cake. I know that sounds odd but it is a wonderful little creation that I found years ago in an old Gold Medal Flour cooking booklet. It is real lemony and like pie at the bottom and on top is a little cake, so it is almost like a pudding cake except that it is baked in a pie crust. I top it off with whipping cream not that it needs it. I will take my left over pastry dough and make little tarts filling them with some mixed berry freezer jam I made this past summer.

Well I must have been scattered when I grocery shopped this past week as I forgot a couple of important staples. So back to the store this morning and then I find myself tossing in this and tossing in that. I am so out of my element without my trusty list. I only needed a few little things and the cart is half full. Why did I need a cart when a basket would have been perfect? This is truly so unlike me, my planets must be out of alignment!

I do not know when my husband will get home this evening so the casserole is a good choice. I can have it ready to pop into the oven and we will be eating in less than a hour.

Recipe follows: This recipe is for two. So it goes into a 7x10 casserole dish. If you want to use a 9x13 pan just double the recipe.
2 cups shredded chicken
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup whipping cream
6 corn tortilla's cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup scallions sliced
three quarters of a jar of salsa verde

Place half of the chicken in your casserole dish
spread with half of the salsa verde
Mix the sour cream and whipping cream together and spread half of that mixture over the salsa
top with half of the tortilla strips and half of the cheddar cheese
Repeat layers. Sprinkle the top with sliced scallions
Cover casserole with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Remove the foil and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese put back in the oven uncovered and bake till cheese is bubbly about 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for ten minutes.

This recipe was derived from another recipe. This is a fave of my husbands and is very moist and creamy and with lots of flavor. Another thing you can always do if you like heat is add some pickled jalapenos on the cheese layers. Another little trick I like is when you add the Parmesan cheese add a few corn chips kind of pushed into the top but sticking out a bit. They give you a good crunchy bite.
This casserole is also tasty served with a black bean, corn, pepper tex- mex type salad.
This recipe is so simple and fun to make.

Well the chicken is done so I had best get started on my pie cake.
The rain is once again upon and it is so dark for two-thirty in the afternoon. Cozy though.
Have a nice Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment