Friday, June 11, 2010

Eugene OR is still dull gray this morning though it is to be warmer and the sun is to come out later.

I am packed for my little adventure to my brothers home tomorrow morning. I do have a busy day ahead though. The making of food to be left for hubby and to take to my brothers home needs to be prepped and made. Also if time allows I want to get out on the deck and hose it off and tidy it up. After the rain and wind it is a disaster with leaves and bits of branches adoring it. And the snails had better be prepared as the snail bait is going out! I do not feel bad in the least doing that as they have craved up all the shoots on my plants. I would hate to think how much of the garden they would have nibbled up if it were not for the raised beds. I know they can maneuver up the bed walls but it must not be a fave of theirs as I have not seen a one in there. The cats are less of a problem now and I am sure they are missing their big grand litter boxes. We put little bamboo stakes every six inches or so throughout the beds. There is no where for them to put their little rumps! Aren't we so clever?

The fish we had last night was so awesome. I actually found fresh Pacific cod. Oh it was a beautiful piece of fish. I bought one pound a lot for two people but we ate all but two pieces. Good job guys!
I am happy we had no sides other than a salad. We barely had enough tummy room for a teeny piece of brownie.

Tonight I am making fresh spinach lasagna. I created this recipe. One time it turned out dry another time it was to soupy so it took some work. So now I feel I have it perfect, we will see. It is a little harder working with fresh spinach as it will get watery as it cooks. When you use frozen spinach you squeeze it out dry before adding. I just prefer the look and taste of the fresh.

Fresh Spinach Lasagna (9x13 casserole dish)
Ingredients:
One 28 oz. jar of your favorite marinara sauce or homemade
Splash of red wine
One 9oz package of Barilla Lasagna no cook rolled flat pasta
One 16 oz package of shredded mozzarella cheese
One large container of cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 cloves of garlic minced
One 16 oz bag of fresh spinach
Salt and pepper and Italian seasonings to taste
Olive oil for drizzling in cooking pot
Cooking spray for the bottom of casserole dish

In your cooking pot drizzle in just enough olive oil to saute the onions, mushrooms and garlic. Cook on med low heat until the onions are translucent.
Add the sauce the wine and seasonings
Simmer a half hour or longer

Into sprayed casserole dish spread a thin layer of sauce in bottom just to cover and arrange the pasta sheets on top of the sauce in a single layer
Spread on half of the cottage cheese
Toss on half of the spinach(will look like a lot but will shrink)
Sprinkle on one third of the mozzarella cheese
Add half of the remaining sauce
Repeat the layers saving enough mozzarella for the top
Lastly sprinkle with paprika and cracked pepper
Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until all is hot and bubbling and the cheese on top is slightly browned.
Remove from oven and let sit about 15 minutes before serving. You may cover with foil at this point if you care to.
Serve with your fave sides, ours is a green salad and artisan crusty bread and red wine.
I certainly hope like Goldilocks that it not to dry or to soupy but "just right".
If I have the time and the inclination I will set our dining room table with an Italian flare all in red, green and white just like the Italian flag. That makes it fun and festive but I do not know how festive I will feel later, we may just dish up at the bar.

Well I must get to my list of to-do's.
I will not blog until I return in a few days.
If you are here in the Willamette Valley I know you will so enjoy this beautiful weekend coming up. Lots of sun, heat, deep blue skies, ahhhh I can see it all now. It had better not be a broken promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment