Thursday, June 10, 2010

This may be our last damp day for a while. I have been waiting this morning to take my daily walk. I had my rain jacket on once and was out the door but it was so dark looking that I stepped back into the house. Now I am waiting for a bit of brightness. I surely do not want to be caught in a down pour. That happened last week and it is not an enjoyable experience.
I need to go grocery shopping this afternoon also. I made out my short menu as I will be gone for a few days come Saturday morning.
Today if I can find it at my fish market I am buying fresh rock fish. I always ask to smell the fish before purchasing it. Fresh fish should only have an odor like the sea. It is difficult sometimes to get really fresh fish you must know where to go in your city. We are fortunate here in Eugene as we have a fairly good variety of places that have fish brought in daily.

I will bread the fish simply and fry it quickly.
A green salad will be the only side and I will serve it with the rest of our thousand island dressing. For the fish dip I will make aoli and firecracker sauce which I have given you the recipes for previously.

We watched, "Into the Worm Hole" with Morgan Freeman last night. I barely slept last night I was thinking of all the theories out there regarding how life first started, you know the science versus religion debate. There is so much to grasp and really the more you learn the less you know. I always thought it strange how mankind seemed to be content without knowing where we came from, what we are doing here and where we are going after we die. We have just settled for the easy answers to get out of thinking about it! Don't you want to know and to have this matter settled once and for all? When religious doctrines and scientific proof mesh we will know. When all the intelligent theologians, scientists, geologists, astronomers come together with the same information it will be amazing. I for one cannot wait. There is so much research going on at this point in history, more than ever before. It is a very exciting time for us lucky enough to be living here on this earth now .

Well I had better not think so deeply about things I do not know and get on to what I know about. FOOD.

Deep fried fish
Ingredients:
fresh fish, rock fish, halibut, snapper, cod(enough to feed your family)
flour
eggs
krusteaz bake and fry coating mix
panko crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
canola oil
lemons
your choice of aoli, tarter or firecracker sauce.

Cut the fish into approximately five inch pieces
Use three flat bottom bowls.
In the first bowl add flour with salt and pepper to taste
In the second bowl beat two eggs with a little water
In the third bowl mix one third Krusteaz mix with two thirds panko crumbs. Mix well.
Dip the fish into the flour, then into the egg and then into the panko mixture. Set on a plate.
In a deep frying pan or steel wok(I prefer the wok here) add canola oil to the pan enough to cover fish while frying.
When your pan is ready for the fish the tip of a wooden spoon will sizzle when dipped into the hot oil this is a good gauge if you do not have a deep fry thermometer.
Add the fish into the oil do not crowd. Let the fish settle a moment then move around with a spatula to make sure all sides are browning equally. The fish will fry quickly so keep it moving. Remove to a parchment paper lined platter when all looks crispy and browned, cover with foil and continue frying fish.
Note if the oil gets to hot and the fish is starting to get to dark just turn down the burner to the next level. You want the oil hot but you also want your fish cooked. Your fish should be succulent and juicy inside a crusty exterior and never dry.

There you have it. Serve with your favorite sauce and lemon wedges.
Now I hope I can find fresh fish today as my mouth is watering.

The sky seems a bit lighter so I may try to get that walk in. Then on to the store. My day is disappearing quickly it seems. I still have things to do here at home when I return. I had better hurry.
Till later.






No comments:

Post a Comment