Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Well we are back from our little beach getaway. We had a great time. We strolled around Old Town Florence upon arriving. There were high clouds in the sky that soon burned off to expose bright sunshine. Oh yes!
We ate lunch at our favorite little bar that serves up plump pieces of halibut in a thin crispy crust. We chatted about the fish on the drive over. Well simple pleasures for simple folks I suppose. The platter that we split had four large crispy golden pieces. A quick bite through the crunch and our mouths filled with moist flaky fish.............heaven. After a long lengthily lunch we were off to get our room. A top floor with view right out to the ocean, a large kitchen and a combination sitting room and bedroom with floor to ceiling windows for watching the surf roll in. I was disappointed in this particular unit as the cabinets just held the bare necessities for preparing and cooking food. Well I made do because I had to but my food prep was certainly more work( no chefs knife or paring knife, what is up with that?) and cooking eggs in a cast iron skillet, well you get the picture.
Our EGG DISH was very good though in spite of the skillet. Though it took forever to clean that thing.
We made huge crab Louie's out of King crab legs. Hubby carefully removed all the meat from the legs and knuckles(his job). We had our Louie's with my Mom's cafe' style thousand island dressing. I shared that recipe with you previously.
It was a bit chilly for beach combing but we bundled up like for a winter walk and stayed warm enough. There were not many shells but we did find some interesting rocks. Just what we need to do is bring home rocks and shells.......not! We have bags full but it is like a prize when you spot a unique rock or a perfect shell. It is also a good time watching all the coming's and going's on the beach from our room. The second day there it was windy and showery on the beach yet there were folks barefooted in shorts and tee shirts skipping in the surf. There were several sand sculptures, quite good actually posing right out our window. We had our very own dragon and frog.

I am not cooking anything worth mentioning this evening because at this point I do not even know what we are eating lol. Tomorrow morning I will make out a menu for the next few days and go grocery shopping.

I am leaving for my brothers home in Washington state on Saturday morning early. It is just over a two hour drive north up the interstate. Hubby is not going he has a job starting tomorrow that will go through the weekend.
My brother lives alone so I am making up my fresh spinach lasagna to have here Friday night and I will take the remainder with me to share with my brother Saturday evening. I will have that recipe on Friday's post.

Well as we just drove home this morning I must do a few chores. I do have us unpacked and I have showered and put my face on. I was a total coast rat for a few days.
The day once again is gunmetal gray and looks like a shower. My husband did manage to get the lawns mowed after we arrived home in case the drizzle comes in. It does look like the weather will be quite warm for our weekend coming up. Finally!!!! We are ready, more than ready to be rid of these hanging gray, gloomy skies and say goodbye to the snails!
Till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment