Thursday, June 17, 2010

I'm back. I had an amazing time with my brother. We can have such fun just enjoying each others company.

He took me for a drive along the river near his house. The mighty Columbia river I am sure you have heard of it. There was a huge barge sitting in it's waters. The beauty of the river is stunning as it separates the two states. There are little sandy beaches where folks were stationed in lawn chairs hoping to catch a big fish. Hour after hour they sit and visit and eat their lunches, have their drinks, waiting for that bell to ring on their pole.
I could look across the river and see the beach where I went many times when I was a young girl. Nothing seems to change much in that Oregon area across the way. There was really no where for the little towns to grow bordered on one side by the river and the other side by the hills.

I gathered with my family on the Oregon side this past Sunday to scatter the ashes of my dear niece who passed away last Thanksgiving day. My brother is her father. The place that she selected while she was ill, was perfect. Lush and thick with foliage and tree's and so private. Between two tall fir trees the ashes were scattered. In the top of one of the firs there is an eagles nest. The eagle was not home at the time of our visit but the neighbors on the adjoining acreage told us that is his longtime homestead.
Adjacent to my nieces ashes on a small knoll blanketed with wildflowers is where my Mother's ashes are strewn.

I arrived home to my marigolds with their heads nibbled off, to my sweet violas with their roots rotted off from the rain and my pretty blue cascading flowers with both types of damage. Sad.
I must say the weather is a bit warmer but a long way from our normal June weather. And still in the forecast are sun breaks and showers, same ol.

The garden area does look nice. We have created an area in back of the garden to accommodate two chairs and a little table. This is a very hot spot so that works for us now while the weather is somewhat chilly. Always a decorator I have added some outdoor decor items to the fence making for a cozy, homey look.
There is still much I need to accomplish outdoors.

I have a long time friend coming next week and I do so hope for nice weather so we can enjoy the patio and dine outdoors.

Well as my hubby and I sat out the other day in our newly created garden space I asked him to figure out the menu for the week. I do get weary sometimes of coming up with menu ideas.
As expected he is a pretty tried and true guy sticking to the basics. We are having grilled steak again this evening with corn on the cob and a simple green salad. Other offerings this week include, bay shrimp salad and garlic bread, Italian pasta salad and chicken, veggie stir fry with rice. Sirloin kabob's with mushrooms, peppers, onions and zucchini. For a side with that we will have easy peel peppered shrimp from the grill basket so basically a surf and turf meal.
So what I will do today is share the Italian pasta salad (my own creation.) I just put in what I like as I have tried many pasta salads over the years and they are not to my liking.

Zo's Italian pasta salad.
Ingredients:
1 12 oz package of tri-color Rotoni (corkscrew pasta)
1/2 cup small cubed mozzarella cheese
Six slices of hard salami
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 small can sliced black olives drained
1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts
1/2 cup of shelled edamame
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 package of Good Seasons Zesty Italian dressing mix
vinegar, water, canola oil(for making dressing)

Boil pasta till al dente drain and rinse with cold water(make sure you do not over cook the pasta it needs to be to the bite.) Over cooked pasta will ruin this salad.
Make your dressing according to the directions on the package and set aside.
Prepare the ingredients listed above.
Cook the edamame as directed. These too should be to the bite. Run cold water over the edamame in a strainer to stop the cooking process and chill them down.
Drain your artichokes it does not matter if some marinade remains. Then cut them in two.
I roll each piece of salami tightly and then thinly slice, keeping them in spirals if possible.
Put the pasta in a large bowl , add the rest of the ingredients then add about three quarters of the dressing and mix well. Keep the rest of the dressing to add to the salad later as the pasta will absorb the moisture.
Sprinkle with black cracked pepper.

This salad is filling enough for a meal in itself. It makes a large salad but whenever I take it anywhere my bowl comes home empty. It is nummy. Of course you can always toss other ingredients in. Good choices would be rinsed and drained black beans or small red beans or white beans, corn kernels, green stuffed olives, peppers of any kind. You get the idea. I just chose what I prefer.

I have much to accomplish today so best get at it. My walk is next. I have been not been on a regular walking schedule with my little getaways of late. That bothers me so I must be diligent about it now.
Till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment