Wednesday, April 11, 2012

SAD GRAY SKIES AND PIANO MUSIC

Sad gray skies and rain today. A day for staying indoors I will not walk. 
Hubby is working today so I have the quiet house to myself. Today I have Pandora Radio playing Beethoven. I quite enjoy classical music as I putter in the house I find it relaxing.  A few moments ago Moonlight Sonata filled the house. That composition is so achingly beautiful it makes my heart fly away like notes on the wind.


We had very delicious scalloped potatoes last night and I mixed up my recipe a bit by adding sweet potatoes with russets. That was a wonderful addition. Layers of potatoes, ham, cheese and creamy sauce what is there not to like?
Tonight we will dine on leftovers as I have mentioned before we like leftovers.
I am going to bake today as to make the house cozy and comforting though the gloom seeps in through the windows. I may make the light delicate buttery coffee cake that we both enjoy. 


Thoughts are pushing at me today it must a combination of the music and weather. When I listen to classical piano music it brings so clearly to mind the years in which I took piano lessons. I was not a good student though I was talented and could have been if I would have been more inclined to play a perfect score. However I always wanted to change things up or make the pieces more dramatic. I always had my own little interpretation of how I wanted a piece to sound. So much to the dismay of my piano teacher and my Mother I really never mastered the classic's.
What I recall brought me the most pleasure was after I was through practicing at the piano I could then play what I liked and I would play with much gusto.
Our home was small the piano in the living room so I must have made my family crazy as I pounded on the keys. My Mother told me in later years that I would be especially dramatic at the piano when I was in trouble as I would pound out my frustrations. As I grew older however my music mellowed and brought me much comfort and pleasure. Even to this day I will play my own compositions that I know and play from my heart with much emotion but also sometimes I will sit and rock out a blues song with much bravado. I am thankful that my parents made it possible for me have a fine piano from a young age. That massive upright piano was a masterpiece. Constructed of solid cherry and tooled in lovely rope and spiral designs with a grand harp ringing true and pure. I do not have that piano any longer however I do so love my 1910 Netzow big upright that I have at present. It is not pretty but the sound is so sweet. A great piano for playing the blues or jazz. There is a ting and jingle to those treble keys that is like nothing I have heard on any other piano and it just calls for honky-tonk music so you cannot help yourself but to belt one out every so often. A piano has been part of my life since I was six years old a very lengthy time. Perhaps today while the coffee cake is baking I will have to try my hand at Moonlight Sonata. I played that piece rather well back in the days of my youth.


The day now calls to me and I must make something of it.
If it is dreary where you are today do something to brighten your spirit. Sing, dance, play the piano, bake a cake, laugh at yourself or someone else.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment