Friday, August 20, 2010

Tomatoes are coming on!

We cannot wait now. Those red mouthfuls of pleasure are almost ready to eat. Actually we have had a couple so far. Masses of green ones are getting larger every day. The Heirlooms as so heavy on the vines.

Tonight we are having sirloin steak and veggie kabob's with crookneck squash, onions and peppers. I will serve with steamed rice. I have the meat marinating as I write. Like I mentioned before I do not make kabob's to often so my marinade is never the same. I do not use a recipe just dump in this and that. The main thing is to get the tougher cuts of meat tender.

Yesterday I went shopping for a new mattress. I hate going through the hassle but a mattress is one thing you just cannot order up on line unless you have seen the exact same one somewhere and have laid on it for a period of time.
I used to sell bedding sets when I worked as a designer in furniture stores. So it always amuses me to experience the different sales techniques one encounters while shopping for mattress sets.
The first person did not even listen to what I had to say he just went through spiel. Sounded like he was reading from a script. The next place was the total opposite. Though the fellow was very personable and listened to what I had to say he was there alone and there were several folks in the store needing assistance. So I just wandered around plopping on beds and looking at price tags. I never found anything I wanted to buy in the price range I wanted to be in. So off to yet another store. This was a small store but no one was in there but me so I had the salesperson to myself. I did find a mattress in the right price range and the right firmness. So it is being delivered today. So I am happy that is over..........I am not and I repeat a shopper!

My brother and nephew are on their way home from their holiday to Yellowstone Park and the Tetons. They have had a wonderful time. My brother sounded so elated calling from Jackson Hole the other evening. I am so pleased he made the effort to take this trip at his age.
My daughter just got home from a trip to the southern Oregon coast and now she if off to Central Oregon for a couple of days.
Seems summer is winding down and soon the trips will be over and fall will be here. Already it is getting cooler in the evenings and the sky is that deep blue it gets in autumn. I do not mind I love the fall it is a cozy time of year for me. Makes me want to do more in my home and even cook more if possible. But till then I will be making relish and jam and soon dealing with way to many tomatoes all at once. However I have plans for every one of them. The ones that are still green at the end of the season are picked and stuffed into brown paper bags and tucked into a cupboard in the cool garage. They then turn red, like magic. Everyday there are one or two ripe tomatoes to be plucked from the bag. It is like having your own little produce section in the grocery store.
It is a beautiful day here today. I heard the jays earlier and now the the crow jabber has filled the air. Two little squirrels were racing each other atop the fence railing a bit ago. They are so entertaining to observe they make me laugh. Ah life is sweet!
I hope your day is special in some way.
Till later
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment