Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Zucchini marinara

This is a good creamy sauce and a great way to use zucchini.
Here is my original recipe.
Zo's creamy zucchini marinara sauce.
Ingredients:
one medium to large zucchini diced
1/2 medium size onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1 14oz can Italian stewed tomatoes
1 small 8oz can tomato sauce
1/2 dozen basil leaves chopped
fresh thyme several stems use only the leaf
black pepper
olive oil

Go around the pan once or so with the olive oil just to coat the pan, add the other ingredients stir to blend. Cover the skillet and bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the zucchini is soft. Let the mixture cool. Then put in blender on puree and pulse until all is creamy and smooth. Cook your pasta in the meantime reheat your sauce. Serve over spaghetti noodles top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and extra chopped basil leaves.

This is a yummy mixture of ingredients. You can taste the layers of flavors. There was enough left for lunch yesterday and after sitting over night in the fridge it was even tastier. I feel the zucchini gives it a richness that you cannot achieve with other ingredients. Also considering there is no cream in this recipe it is quite a healthy mix of ingredients. I have decided to make a couple batches to freeze, what a nice treat for winter. I find that freezing sauces works well. For intance when I make my swiss steak sauce I always make a large batch and freeze the remainder. I can then use the sauce in a variety of ways. Ethier more swiss steak or it is great for the sauce with stuffed green peppers. If you want simpler than that it is good just over rice or pasta for a super quick meal.

Shortly I will putting a pot roast in the slow cooker. We are having shredded beef taco's this evening. This always makes my hubby so happy. He is crazy for taco's and will consume many. I am not quite sure what I will use for the seasonings this time in the slow cooker. Seems I always try different things. We like the meat to have plenty of flavor but not to spicy. So I will report tomorrow on these taco's.

Well I must walk before it gets to warm. We have not hit one hundred again but it is plenty warm.
I was sizzling right along with the sausages last night on the grill. However I was seated at the patio table thumbing through a magazine while all cooked. The tinfoil pouches of potatoes, peppers and onions was delish. I also added small pieces of corn of the cob to the pouches. These little pieces caramelized on the edges golly they were awesome!

Well food and more food I could chat forever but best to get on with my day.
Have a tasty Tuesday.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment