Wednesday, November 10, 2010

BROTHER JIMS GRANDSON


This is my younger brother Jim's grandson, his son Aaron's little boy. His name is Vinny. I have not met him in person but I hear he is a little character like his Grandfather was. My brother Jim was so proud when Aaron was born, so thrilled to have a son to carry on the family name. Now there is another son to do the same. I only wish my brother could have known his grandson. But I have no say in that and maybe he does know his grandson. We truly know nothing for certain of what happens when we leave this earth.

We woke to showers this morning. I waited a while before walking. The sky did brighten later but still the bruised looking clouds hung dangerously about, I took the umbrella.
This time of year the crows work the nut trees in our area. They are very busy dropping nuts on the pavement to crack them open. Their loud caws and crazy maneuvers make me nervous. Between the nuts dropping and you know what else dropping I feel I should use my umbrella for protection. My brother told me that crows are extremely smart. Do not ever do them wrong as they will remember you. What if they mix me up with someone who did not treat them right? Now that is a frightening thought, so I tread lightly as not to be noticed.

I grocery shopped for the week today. The menu is set. We are having French onion soup tomorrow evening, my hubby's request. That is one dish I have never made. Reason being I did not have the oven proof soup bowls to make it in. So I went to World Market the other day and purchased some. I found a delicious sounding recipe on the internet. So I am excited to make the soup. I will share the recipe if it is a keeper. Hey maybe I can remember to take a photo this time before I start consuming it.

I have started a project, something I hope my children will appreciate. In December 1978 I was diagnosed with lymphatic cancer, it was a non Hodgkin's variety and quite nasty. So January 1979 I went through a laundry list of tests and started treatment. During that time I kept a journal of my ordeal and all that was involved, what our family went through, our daily lives and the emotions that surfaced. I am making a transcript on the computer and printing it out for my children. Believe me it is time consuming as some of the entries were written at the end of the day when I was so worn down from radiation treatment. Many of the words are barely readable and the sentences ramble. As I read it brings back to me just how important every day is. I almost had no more days. I could have been gone at 37 leaving two teenage children without a Mother. I have had the privilege of watching them grow into adults and have their families, my wonderful grandchildren. How fortunate I am and I never take a day for granted believe me. No matter what my life brings to me, I have life and I do not squander it. I did make some life style changes after my cancer ordeal as I wanted to create as stress free life as possible. Stress causes dis-ease. My type of cancer never leaves your body. It can come back at anytime, it waits patiently to strike when certain elements come into play such as illness, stress, worry and depression. So I look at everyday as a gift, of course sometimes I forget, you know like bathroom cleaning days or visits to the dentist. I feel it will be interesting reading for my children to look back at that time in their lives to see how we dealt with the trauma of it all. Of course it is written from my perspective so they will know not only my pain but also the joy's and the tender moments that touched me during that trying time.

Enjoy the day, the falling leaves, the wash of late afternoon sunlight, the crows. Whatever is outside your door today that brings a smile to your lips and joy to your heart, embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment