Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DINNER AND A DUSTING OF SNOW


I use this method sometimes when roasting a chicken. Take out the back bone, open it like a book breast side up and push down with your hands to flatten it. It cooks more evenly I think. I surrounded it with sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, carrots, Anaheim peppers, onions and garlic. I chopped the veggies and mixed them up with a little olive oil and salt and peppers. I rubbed olive oil on the chicken and then rubbed on my mixture of, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, kosher salt sweet paprika and allspice. Now you are thinking Allspice? Well this is the secret ingredient. It makes that rub taste all earthy and warm. It is wonderful. Then I popped the pan into the oven on 375 for a little over an hour I have an instant read thermometer so when it was 180 into the deepest part of the thigh I removed it from oven. The potatoes and other veggies had caramelized perfectly making them melt in your mouth with dense flavor. Make sure you spray your foil or pan with cooking spray for easy cleanup.

The second photo I took this morning was taken off my front step. We had just a sprinkling of snow late evening. We were in the hot tub last night before the snow came in watching the black sky as it broke into puzzle pieces exposing a roaming moon. It looked so ethereal, I felt quite moved.

I have news. I am a great, great auntie. My great niece Jana had her baby boy Sunday morning. Now this is no small baby............11 pounds, 12 ounces! Ouch!!!! She had to have a C section as that little man was just to big to make his appearance in the normal manner. Jana sent a photo and I will try to post that tomorrow. I am so happy for this couple and their baby, this is an event that has been so anticipated.

I have many things to accomplish today to get ready for our Thanksgiving trip. As I am catering the meal I will start some prep work on that today also.

Enjoy the snow if you have it. I for one am not stepping outdoors today.
Till tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment