Sunday, November 14, 2010

Gloomy Day

Good morning,
It is a grim Sunday. My sis in law and I just returned from a long walk along the country road adjacent to our neighborhood. The sky is hanging low today threatening showers, there are no definable clouds just a dreary gray blanket. The air so damp it left my hair wet and curly around my face.
We walked along a newly made street with new homes. Most of them sadly empty. They are nice looking houses, all with dormers and large porches on good size lots. It appears a couple have been abandoned as there are legal notices on the doors. It is difficult to know folks have lost their homes. A home was and has been the American dream. Oregon is a state that is very depressed at this time. You see it everywhere. More folks working the streets for handouts, more homeless people sleeping wherever they can get out of the weather. There are less patrons at the malls, specialty stores and restaurants than usual. No one is spending on luxury items or for that matter spending on items that are not absolute necessities. Our own business of hardwood floor installation and refinish has slowed. I feel bad for us all. There is nothing to do but wait it out and hope we go into recovery soon. We have found we just do not do the things we did in the past. We are home for the most part entertaining ourselves with food and drink, games and projects. Not a bad life but quite boring at times and certainly a change in our lifestyle.

I wrote my great niece yesterday. Her baby boy is due now and has not made his arrival as yet. Oh how she longs to have that baby out of her body and into her arms. I remember so feeling that way at the end of my pregnancies. Seems you just cannot stand another moment as the waiting seems impossible. Maybe it will happen today. I will be notified via the e-mail along with everyone else. Very exciting!

Well OREGON won another game. Not a pretty game for sure, but we won, that is the main thing. CAL really held us back, they did a great job. What a victory for them it would have been to take down the number one team in the nation. We could hardly breathe sometimes, I was chewing at my nails, it was an intense game.

Tonight for dinner I am taking the easy route. We are having patty melts. I will make my Mom's coleslaw to go with. I have sharp white cheddar to put on the patty and the bread will be the good crusty pane bread from Trader Joe's. I will have horseradish sauce for dipping. I am making myself salivate just writing about it.

We have some TV shows we must catch up on tonight. We love Empire Blvd.on HBO. We also have some fave shows on Food Network of course.
I see that the movie " It's Complicated" is now on HBO so we will need to catch that also sometime soon.

Well I am just rambling at this point. See, I said our life is small. I am now going to flop in my comfy chair and read the afternoon away. Not a bad plan actually.

Till later.


No comments:

Post a Comment