Monday, April 25, 2011

EASTER DAY

We woke to a gray Easter morning with low clouds and mist it had rained earlier as we heard the soft patter on the roof while still cozy in our bed. The sky now is starting break apart and I do see tiny patches of blue I doubt there will be sun though as the clouds are thick and hanging heavy.
Yesterday was an amazing a day of sun and no breeze. It was so warm and summer hazy in the late afternoon. I hurried through my chores and was fortunate enough to sit in the garden spot for a hour and scan through cooking magazines.


A black and white check table cloth adorn the dining table for our dinner. My mother's green and white dish ware look fresh with my centerpiece, a basil plant wrapped in white paper with a black and white stripped tie and bow. Two white candles sit on each side of the plant. To add some cheer I placed bright red napkins under the silverware. My serving dishes that are part of my Mother's collection now sit empty but soon will be filled with tasty offerings.

My menu is simple this year.
A spiral ham with my red glaze sauce(this sauce is wonderful I will include the recipe)
Red smashed potatoes with sour cream, garlic, scallions with pork gravy.
Cole slaw with shredded onion and pineapple tidbits with my Mother's slaw dressing.
A relish tray consisting of: garlic marinated olives, crispy baby dills, Anaheim pepper sticks, pickled carrot slices, celery spears stuffed with cream cheese and radish zest.
Trader Joe's panini rolls with sweet cream butter.
Lemon bread with lemon sugar glaze for desert.
White wine or shiraz for spirits.


Recipe for red glaze.
Use any red jam or jelly you prefer. I use my homemade freezer jam which a mixed berry jam.
Put a couple of large tablespoons in a saucepan.
Add a 1/3 cup of red wine
Add a 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
One teaspoon of cloves
One teaspoon of Cinnamon
Mix all well with a whip. 


Heat until boiling and then turn down heat and reduce about a third.
When your spiral ham is ten minutes from being done, remove the foil and ladle the red glaze over the top and finish baking. Do not cover.
This glaze is sweet and savory with warm spices of cloves and Cinnamon and it is so pretty. I have never cared for those glaze packets that come with the hams.




I must say our brunch was fun. My hubby makes the best tequila sunrises. This is his own take on this old fashioned drink as we do not care for sweet things as a rule we do not use but a tad of the grenadine. 
He uses a small pitcher.
6 shots of tequila gold
juice of one lime
two cups of orange juice
two shots of grenadine
fill the pitcher with ice and stir


Load glasses with ice and pour in drink mixture.
This drink is a pretty melon color and I think tastes like pink grapefruit somewhat.
We decided that it would be fun to make them frozen in summer like margarita's.
Of course these are pretty stout drinks so if your prefer just cut back on the tequila and make to your liking. I am not really even sure of measurements I stated. It is just a guide line as hubby just pours. But anyhow they are good alternative to the normal Bloody Mary's, Cesar's, screwdrivers or mimosa's.


I forgot to charge the camera so I cannot take a shot of that yummy red glazed ham. So I will post a photo of the tree that overhangs the back deck.
This is the tree that I constantly complain about as it is always dropping something onto the deck to be cleaned off.
If you click on the photo when it enlarges you can see all those little red buds on the tree that are falling now for me to contend with.


Have a lovely Easter day whatever you are doing and wherever you are. Remember to be grateful for your life and those that fill it so lovingly.
Till Later.











No comments:

Post a Comment