Friday, April 1, 2011

SPINACH LASAGNA


I made this wonderful lasagna last night. So so good and it is an original recipe. I developed this recipe as I wanted to make a spinach lasagna made with fresh spinach rather than frozen as I much prefer fresh. So here is the recipe.

Z'o's Spinach Lasagna

1 jar of your fave pasta sauce or home made.
No cook lasagna sheets
1 container cottage cheese or ricotta cheese (for med size casserole if using a 9x13 you will need more)
1 pkg of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bag of fresh spinach
Put a layer of sauce over the bottom of the casserole, just enough to cover. Lay on the pasta sheets they can overlap. Spread on the cottage cheese or ricotta on top the pasta sheets. Lay a layer of chopped spinach to cover the cheese. Then sprinkle half of the mozzarella over the spinach. Then repeat layers and top with the last of the mozzarella. Bake uncovered at 375 degree's for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with foil for ten to fifteen minutes. This is important. The longer it sits the tighter it will be. It is always best the next day. So you could make a day ahead and just reheat.
This is a sumptuous mouthful. Of course depending on what pasta sauce you buy or make delegates a difference in the flavor.
What I did last night was use Trader's Joe's basil garlic pasta sauce, I poured it in a dutch oven with two cloves of minced garlic and a splash of red wine and simmered for about hour. It had lots of flavor. Most times I make my own sauce from scratch.
Why not make up a batch you will not be sorry and it is quick and fun to make as you do not even boil the pasta.

We are eating at my sis in law's this evening as it is a get together for my hubby's Mother who is moving to Bend this weekend. She will be living with her eldest son and family. So it will be nice to see everyone this weekend and be together.

Yesterday hubby and I sat in our garden space and raised our faces to the sun rolling in and out the clouds. It was warm and we were content to just sit and watch the birds.
It is nicer today also, blue skies this morning but I do see some dark gray coming in from the west. I best walk before they reach us.

Have a nice weekend, maybe yard work at this house?

No comments:

Post a Comment