Wednesday, May 25, 2011

LAST SUMMERS TOMATOE SAUCE


Posted by PicasaWhat a treat to pull a jar of this sauce from the freezer. It taste as fresh as the day I made it.
 To the sauce I added fresh thyme from our herb barrel, sliced onions, two cloves of garlic and two bell peppers sliced. I tossed in a bit of fresh basil, salt and pepper. Simmered the sauce for a hour or so uncovered to reduce it to a thick heavenly gravy, then I sliced and added the left over sirloin grilled steak we had the previous night. I let that all meld together for another half hour. We then  ladled this rich red sauce over garlic mashed potatoes as smooth as silk.  I just served a oven hot crunchy chibatta bread and butter to go with. Believe me it made for bold flavorful mouthfuls.


We spent a good deal of time outdoors yesterday the sun warming our souls as well as our bodies.
Today is another tale altogether. We woke to the patter of rain on the roof. It has showered today as well as hailed. The wind right now is very blustery.
Once again I concerned about my granddaughter who lives in Topeka Kansas. Today that area is having sever storms and there have been tornado's touching down just east of them. My heart is in my throat for her and her little family. Please stay safe Megan.


I have cemented a little summer outing with a good friend for a few days in August. We will meet up at Crescent Lake high in the Cascade mountains. She has a small motor home for our comfort.
We will lay in the hot sand, suntan and sip wine and share our lives as we have done since we were very young women.  We plan on taking a long hike every morning and will take healthy eats. I am taking the fixings for one dinner. I love a gourmet but simple dinner out in the mountains. I will take a white table cloth to throw over the picnic table, a vase for wild flowers I will gather and always there are candles. I take a lot of pleasure in small things like this.
My friend and I have a great deal of history together. We have known each other for forty- five years, we have shared so much throughout our lives. So once again we are making but yet another memory. 


I am watching and waiting for a period without too much wind or showers as I still have not walked today. Actually right now it may not be too bad, think I shall try.
Till Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment