Friday, May 27, 2011

SWEET DILLS




Posted by PicasaA day of showers, sun, hail and wind. What's new?
I did have a wonderful walk very early this morning. Hubby got up early and went to a job site. I slipped on my hoodie and walking shoes as soon as he left and hit the pavement. People were just stirring and leaving for their work places. The walk was nice as it was bright sun when we woke this morning but I knew the forecast.  It was so good to be home so early with my walk out of the way and the day spreading out before me to call my own.
I have accomplished a lot today and still had time for myself.


I make these pickles quite often for us but find that most folks love them so it is always a good take to a bbq party and I will be going to one tomorrow.
It is actually a Bon Voyage party for my niece Sarah.  She will be off to Vicenza in northern Italy on Sunday to teach children at a army base there for the rest of the summer. Last year she went to Germany through the same program. What a wonderful respite from the college year and just working at a mundane summer job. I want to be along with her in some sort of fashion so I guess vicariously will have to do. I will post a photo now and then as she sends them. The area looks amazing.


Here is this really simple pickle recipe.
SWEET DILLS
1 46 oz jar of baby dills
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
3 cups of sugar
Cinnamon stick if desired


Dump pickles into a strainer and drain off the juice then rinse with cold water.
Cut into pieces. I usually cut these little guys about three times you just want something you can pop into your mouth.
In the meantime mix the vinegar and sugar together and bring to a full boil.
Pack the pickles back into the jar or two smaller jars then ladle the vinegar sugar mixture over to cover put on the lid and stick in the fridge for at least 24 hours before eating. They will stay good in the fridge for a couple of weeks, however they will never be around that long. 
Now I ask you what is easier to make and than these little pickles that are a sweet and sour crunch in your mouth. Too good!


That is all for today. Must start dinner prep.
Till later

No comments:

Post a Comment