Thursday, September 8, 2011

FIRE SKY


Posted by PicasaI took this photo from our front door early this morning.
There is a forest fire burning up by the Santiam Pass the fire is causing a little smoke to drift over into our valley.
We are planning a little trip to Bend in Central Oregon on Saturday however this fire is now burning about four miles from the highway. We will have to keep an eye on this fire so we do not start up the pass and get turned back. Fire in this area is quite common as you travel across the mountains the face of the landscape has been altered many times.


My day yesterday, how did I spend my free afternoon? Well it was a combination of pleasure and projects. So a good choice on my part it was an enjoyable day as today will be.


I started my day with a long walk very early this morning. I was a little chilly as the sun was not high enough in the sky to warm me. That actually was fine as it made me walk even faster.
I noticed that a few of the trees are starting to turn they will be displaying their amazing colors soon. It is a stunning time of year in the valley when all is red and gold. However all the beauty comes to an end when the rains start. Then decaying soggy leaves litter the sidewalks and streets throughout the winter. Then we long for spring so the cycle can continue. Oh life it is a wonder.


Tonight in Zo's Kitchen I am serving up grilled chicken breasts on sesame seed buns. We will top them with jack cheese and our garden tomatoes,  sweet onion, shredded lettuce then generously sauced with zucchini relish and mustard for a tangy zip. I am making a small old fashioned macaroni salad like my mom always made. So a fun little summer meal. I would like to eat outdoors at the patio table this evening but that is doubtful with the heat we are to have today.


I talked to my brother yesterday. He is his home for a few days after leaving his nest at the lake. He calls it, reloading. He brings home his dirty laundry and takes fresh back. He resupplies his food items, catches up on mail etc and then back to the lake for a few more days or a week or so. It is a nice way to live in summer. I am pleased for him as it gives him a reprieve from the long dreary winter days spent at home.


Today I am going to spend some time deep cleaning our bedroom. Changing the sheets alone on a king size bed is a chore in itself. I must wax our bedroom furniture, clean the hardwood floors, wash the mirrors and windows, well now I am thinking most of the afternoon will spent on this task.
Later before hubby gets home I will pick some blackberries in our side yard to add to our stash in the freezer to make jam with at a later date.
Right now I am going to oven roast the tomatoes that are overtaking the kitchen counter. 
This is what you do.
Oven roasted tomatoes:
Use a large roasting pan with sides high enough to collect the juice. Usually the pan that comes with your oven works great. Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of  the pan, cut the tomatoes in half and lay flat side down, scatter a handful of peeled garlic cloves and whatever herbs you like (basil, cilantro, thyme, rosemary, oregano work well) or keep it just simple with the garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle some more olive oil over all and roast at 425 degree's for about 25 minutes. After the tomatoes have cooled to the touch you can easily lift off their skins or if you prefer just leave them on.
I like to remove them throw them in the food processor with some of juice from the pan and whir them up and then add them back to the tomatoes  put all in Zip lock freezer bags and toss in the freezer. 
Then all through the winter you can thaw and use in soups, pasta sauces, most anything that calls for tomato sauce. The roasted flavor really comes through. What a nice burst of summer on a cold stormy night.


I had better leave you now as it appears I have much to do today and time is sliding by.
I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment