Saturday, February 4, 2012

THE LAST OF THE BERRIES


Posted by PicasaI am thawing the last package of frozen blackberries that were picked from our side yard this summer. At this point I do not know if I am going to make a berry pie or a magic berry cobbler. I do not have vanilla ice cram on hand only whipping cream so I am thinking perhaps the cobbler. I have made this cobbler twice the recipe was torn from a cooking magizine. It is fun to make as you put the batter in the bottom of the baking dish and put the berries on top but that crust all rises to the top and the berries wind up under it with bits of crust running through the cobbler. We like it and it is easy to make.
However there's nothing like a wonderful berry pie all sticky around the pie crust edges and those luscious tart berries inside that delicate crust. Decisions, decisions.


My sweet husband and I had a really fun afternoon yesterday. He was on a bid and picking up supplies yesterday morning and he called me to ask if I  would like to go to the Steelhead brewery for a brew and a appetizer and sit in the sun in their sidewalk serving area. There is full sun there and with the brick building behind you it a very welcome experience this time of year when we long so for the warmth of the sun. So of course I said yes I would love to go.
So later about two we drove over to the 5th st area of our city. We like this area as it is chucked full of eateries and bars, shopping etc. Quaint stores and also the 5th st market place. They are also building a boutique hotel in this area. It is very exclusive and is a lovely structure.
So we enjoyed drinks, snacks and the heat of the sun. We love to sit and watch the foot traffic traipsing here and there. If you know Eugene at all you know we have a very diverse group of folks living in this city. So it is very entertaining to people watch. So a nice enjoyable time with my guy yesterday.
Later I made rib eye steaks in the cast iron skillet and topped them before they rested with Gorgonzola butter. When I say they were cooked to perfection, tender and juicy with cheesy butter I do not lie.


Tonight I am making for dinner lasagna with a package of my roasted garlic tomato sauce that I froze last summer from our garden tomatoes. I only will have one package left now. I do still have many bags of just the tomatoes  so that will suffice but hubby and I already decided that next year I will make more of that smokey roasted tomato sauce. I will make a butter lettuce salad with radish's, sweet onion and Italian dressing with Parmesan cheese. I think I am going to skip making any kind of bread this evening. Neither of us need the extra calories as the lasagna is a splurge.


I want to work outdoors this afternoon on the back deck. It needs a good sweeping and tidying. The nook and kitchen windows need a cleaning also. When the sun shines in it is not a pretty sight at this point as they are coated with winter grime. 


My husband started a huge job today that he will work on daily for ten days with no breaks and more than likely ten plus hour days. Then we will have a small reprieve. With his work it seems of late it is feast or famine.


Well my kitchen is calling me. I need to clean up the morning mess and get going on my berry cobbler. Yes while writing this I have decided upon the cobbler. With the silky whipped cream it will make a very tasty desert for this evenings meal. I need to think portion control this evening for sure!


Enjoy your weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment