Sunday, February 26, 2012

MAC AND CHEESE WITH BACON AND SCALLIONS


Posted by PicasaWe made this simple little dinner Saturday night. This is a mac and cheese recipe that I have been using for years. We add whatever tugs at our taste buds and what is available in our fridge or pantry. There is a topping that you can crumble on and bake in the oven if you like. I have done this a few times but mostly I just dish it up off the stove top.


Really easy mac and cheese with whatever.
2 cups uncooked small macaroni or whatever pasta you prefer
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash black pepper, salt to taste
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar or combination of your favorite cheeses


In medium sauce pan, cook macaroni , drain
In same sauce pan melt butter and blend in flour salt and pepper. Stirring with whisk heat until bubbly. Add milk and continue stirring contastantly until all is smooth and thickened. This is basic bechamel sauce.
Stir the shredded cheese into the sauce and add the macaroni and blend.
At this point you can serve.
If using the topping put the mac and cheese in a greased 8x8 casserole dish. Make a topping of bread crumbs, fresh grated Parmesan cheese and a little olive oil. Spread this mixture over the mac and cheese sprinkle with paprika or cayenne if you like a hot hit and put under broiler on Hi till all is bubbly and crunchy.
That is it for the plain original recipe.
Things you can add when adding the macaroni to the sauce are picked jalenpeno's, caramelized onions, fried bacon , ham or salami bits, fresh minced peppers, leeks and really most anything you find flavorful. 
Last night we added to our portions bacon bits I had fried ahead and sliced scallions. I also used a combination of sharp and med cheddar cheese.
That's it folks!  I served sides of honey glazed carrots and steamed burssel sprouts with lemon butter. 
I had been craving veggies so this worked.


Feeling more or less the same as yesterday but a little less tired. I feel I am certainly on the mend. 


We will be watching the Red Carpet Live and the Academy Awards tonight. I have loved watching this since I was a little girl.
In honor of the Academy awards we just finished watching the Black Swan with Natalie Portman. This movie was up for best picture last year and Natalie won the ocsar for best actress. I love this gal she is so talented and so elegantly pretty. 


We are having a veggie meal this evening while watching the Oscars. Just a huge baker stuffed with salad and whatever tingles our taste buds.


I will say good bye now so I can prepare for the Academy Awards red carpet.










No comments:

Post a Comment