Friday, May 18, 2012

PAPRIKA CHICKEN


This was a tasty old world meal. I know it needs something green to the side but we have been having salads and greens for days so skipped it last night. Just decided to go with a piece of sourdough toast. 
The chicken was juicy. I actually cut a big whole fryer in two and put a half in the freezer. So for this dish I had a drumstick, thigh, wing and cut a half breast in two. So it was more than enough for the two of us. However next time I prepare it I am just going to use three drumsticks and three thighs.


Here is the recipe
Six to eight pieces of chicken your choice(dark meat is juicer)
1 red bell pepper julianned 
1 small onion(I used a half onion and a shallot) sliced
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 tablespoon paprika or more
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup white wine
2 fresh tomatoes rough chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
canola oil for frying 


Salt and pepper the chicken pieces
cover the bottom of a heavy cooking pot with oil
fry the pieces in batches until brown on all sides.
Remove from pot.
add the julianned red pepper slices , and onions to the pot along with the paprika. Stir and cook until tender but do not overcook use a med to low heat takes about five- ten minutes.
Add the minced garlic and cook a minute or so longer.
Add the white wine and deglaze the pot stirring well getting all the goodies off the bottom.
Add the tomatoes and the bay leaf
Add the chicken pieces back into the sauce and spoon the sauce over. Cover the pot and slowly simmer for about 30 minutes until the chicken is done.
Remove the chicken from the pot when done and place on platter cover with foil to keep warm. Cook the sauce on med heat without the lid to reduce a little.
Add the sour cream to the sauce and stir to incorporate.
Pour the sauce over the chicken


Serve alone or over mashed potatoes, noodles, rice or whatever you prefer. If you want your broth extended add a little chicken broth after adding the wine.


This good tasty paprika chicken but really not much different than my usual recipe. Just a different take on it with the red peppers. It is a pretty dish.


Today I am getting myself ready for my visit with my long time friend. 
I must walk now so on with the walking shoes.
It was chilly last night and will be cooler today.
We have had one of the driest May's on record in our area. Which is just fine with me.
Enjoy your Friday. I always so loved Friday's when I was younger. No work until Monday and a weekend full of possibilities.
Ciao









No comments:

Post a Comment