Wednesday, May 30, 2012

SOUTHERN WILLAMETTE VALLEY WINERIES


Posted by PicasaWe are off tomorrow to wine country! We do this sometimes twice a year but mainly we never want to miss driving out in the spring. All is so lush and thick green you feel submerged in it.
Here is one place I would love to sink into the green damp grass and just suck it in like a big gulp of green water. Have you ever smelled green? Well you can this time of year here in wine country.
This is King Estate. Such a landmark and amazing winery. We always finish our tour here as to linger for a hour or so.
We will also visit several other winery's.  I am packing us a simple but tasty lunch. I decided to make sandwiches out of black bread with the usual condiments but with the addition of my zucchini relish. I love to load a sandwich so it is a big bite. I have honey baked deli turkey which I will load on with crisp romaine lettuce leaves and sweet onion slices. Hubby always likes his chips so will toss some kettle chips in. That is it. I know just how it will taste accompanied by a wonderful Willamette Valley pinot gris. 
We plan on only purchasing two bottles of wine to bring home. We would love to buy a case but we must not be that extravagant at this time. There were times in our past that we purchased cases of wine that we loved and hopefully those times will come again. 


Today was a grand day. We woke to bright sun and it was warm already as I reached out the door for the morning paper.  I could not wait to start my day.
I was so anxious to get my t0-do-s out of the way so I could be outside and enjoy the day. So I moved through my morning quickly taking care of my office and house chores. This afternoon early I went to the farm five minutes from my home. I do so love that. I bought bright fresh green asparagus picked in Washington state, fingerling potatoes, lots of peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, shallots, garlic and other things my tummy grumbled for. The prices are so much lower than the grocery stores and all is so fresh. I flew home down the country road through adjoining farms as happy as a country bumpkin.


Tonight for dinner I am preparing grilled pork steaks with Chinese five spice marinade. I adore this marinade it is glossy and not to thick just a nice drizzle brushed while grilling is perfect. I also am putting on the grill foil pouches filled with the fingerling potatoes, sliced peppers and onion with several cloves of garlic, fresh rosemary and seasonings. I will drizzle olive oil over and seal the packet tightly. 
Just use double heavy duty foil about three layers is perfect and seal good at both ends. Turn frequently grill for about forty minutes. We are also having as a side the tender Washington state asparagus steamed with lemon butter and salt and pepper.
My mouth is more than ready I can be honest and say that I have not had much to eat today. Kellogg's K with soy milk this morning and a left over cheese biscuit from last night for lunch.


I must end the post now as I need to do my dinner prep.
It will be a lovely evening for a grill it is still so warm outdoors. I did clean the deck and put out the chair pads and washed the windows once again.


Have a nice spring evening.
Me.





No comments:

Post a Comment