Sunday, December 4, 2011

GERMAN DINNER


Posted by PicasaI made this dish primarily for my husband. He so loves German food I do not make it that often but this turned out rich tasting and the pork was so tender.
I actually just used pork steaks and I converted two recipes and then added some of my thoughts. The result a nice mixture of flavors with that bit of a tang that German food is known for.
So I call the recipe.
GERMAN STYLE PORK CHOPS IN TANGY ONION SAUCE
with fried cabbage, potatoes and carrots.


Ingredients:
2 large pork steaks fat trimmed
1/2 large onion sliced
1/2 can beef broth heated
1/3 can beer
flour for dredging pork steaks
salt, pepper
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar


Three potatoes sliced medium and boiled
Three carrots peeled and sliced fairly thin and boiled with the potatoes
1/2 small head green cabbage shredded
Butter and olive oil to cover bottom of the skillet for frying the cabbage.


This is what I did.
After trimming visible fat from pork chops or steaks, salt and pepper them and dredge in flour.
Add some canola oil to a heavy skillet(cast iron preferably) brown meat on both sides till brown. Add the onion slices and mix in around the pork saute until onions are slightly brown then pour in the heated beef broth and beer. Cover the pan and cook about fifteen to twenty minutes until the pork is tender.
Meantime put your sliced potatoes and carrots in a pot and cover with water. Cook on medium until fork tender, no longer.
Fry the cabbage in the butter and olive combination in a skillet. When the potatoes and carrots are done drain thoroughly (put back on the burner if needed to dry out) then add to the cabbage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the pork to a serving bowl and cover with foil. In a small bowl add the vinegar, Dijon mustard, brown sugar and cornstarch and mix well. Add to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend well. Add the pork back in till heated.
To serve put a serving of pork on your plate along with the cabbage mixture. Ladle some gravy over all. So tasty served with a sour dill pickle. It is a nice wintertime meal.


It is yet another fogged in cold day here in Eugene. My niece Laura from Phoenix  commented on FB that is was so pretty there. Sunny and snow in the surrounding mountains she said. I must say that sounded grand to me.
I love the valley but sometimes this fog in winter gets to us all here.
I did walk but I cannot say it was enjoyable. I was scurrying the whole way as the wind made my ears feel bone cold( should have had my stocking cap on) but I was happy I had the hood on my Columbia jacket.  I almost purred when I stepped inside my cozy warm house.


I made cream cheese brownies this afternoon. hubby likes these brownies. They are rich as I use left over coffee instead of water. They have a cream cheese and sugar mixture held together with egg that is spread over the top and then cut in with a knife. Some of the cream cheese oozes down into the brownies but most stays on top. Yumo!
Then I also made croutons for our romaine salad tonight that I am serving up with my Mom's blue cheese dressing recipe.
I like to make my own croutons as the ones you buy in the store always taste rancid to me. You do not know how long they have been sitting on your grocers shelf.
All I do is save my crusts and end pieces of bread in the fridge. When i have enough for a baking sheet full of croutons I make a batch up.
I cut them small making sure all are the same approximate size. Then I toss them in a bowl with some olive oil drizzled over and the sprinkle on whatever we are in the mood for. Today I used Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper and Italian seasonings. Put in a 350 over for about fifteen minutes. That's it! I store them in a zip lock bag and they will last for a week or so.
To go with our salad tonight I am making a family favorite. A casserole recipe that my niece gave me  years ago.
Now mind you it is a tuna casserole recipe which I would otherwise not be to interested in. I have tasted so many awful ones, I am sure we all have.
This is good because it is very creamy it has fresh mushrooms, cheddar cheese, sour cream, scallions. Well you get the idea. Anyhow hubby loves it with a drizzle of Tabacso on the top. So a nice little comfort food dinner tonight.


Well this blog is long winded already. Time to quit. 
I believe we are going to play some cards before I start dinner.
We love playing gin rummy. We are very competitive so it is fun as we are well matched and play with entirely different strategies.
I want to win! Well I always like to win, maybe too much sometimes.


Monday tomorrow but it is still Sunday now. So enjoy your evening.















No comments:

Post a Comment