Thursday, December 15, 2011

MT. HOOD IN ALL IT'S GLORY


Posted by PicasaThis would make an amazing Christmas card. In fact on FB this will be my card for all that I connect with there.  My son took this photo last year on a snowmobiling trip, I think it is grand. 


I have had a heart filling day today. First thing this morning I attended to the house chores and was out the door early. I went shopping for a few things for my husband for Christmas and then on to various stores for needed things for the holidays as well as grocery shopping. I am so glad that 
the bulk of my grocery shopping is done. Now all I need to do next week is get my spiral ham and last needed fresh ingredients for our Christmas festivities.


When I returned home hubby was waiting to unload all my goodies for me. I was starved as I had not eaten a thing before going shopping. So I put the freezer items in my already stuffed freezer(I need to address this issue). Then I had a lunch of leftovers, my fave, finally with tummy fortified I put away the rest of the groceries and hid the gifts away in the spare room.


I recall one Christmastime when my children were about four and six. We had our baby sitter come for the evening as we had a Christmas party to attend. I told the sitter what you ever you do, do not let the kids into our room as their presents were stashed in our closet.
Well it seems my little ones kept at the sitter saying that they knew that there presents in our bedroom closet and they would be so so good if she would let them see. Well what girl would not want two sweet well beahved little kids to watch for the evening? So she showed them everything.
On Christmas morning when the kids opened their gifts, I noticed they were overly excited and grateful saying over and over how they wanted this and that. They were not just not their usual themselves. Then my daughter said, I can't wait to open my dolly with the blonde hair and blue dress! Hello. 
Well what can you say at that point. My children and I have always remembered that particular Christmas more than others because of their sneakiness and mischief and trying to act so surprised.  After that happened I was very inventive where I hid presents and they never found them again. 


Later in this afternoon I worked on a jig saw puzzle while hubby watched a movie. I wanted it finished and off the dining table as I need to decorate the table tomorrow for Christmas. There was this huge sunset sky to finish it was hard. But I persevered and finished it while chatting to my brother on the phone for an hour. We had a gay old time chatting, we can talk for hours about nothing and everything. I love that guy so much, my brother.


I get somewhat sentimental this time of year as many do. I do so miss my parents and brother and niece that are no longer with us here on earth. They all played such important roles in my life. As I listen to Christmas music now on Pandora while I type this I will hear a song and that brings back such pure and joyful memories of past Christmas's. Sometimes the songs about break my heart but it is OK. Those times can never return but we can savor those memories in our hearts forever, they are a part of us. Last night before going to sleep I was remembering how special my Mom made our home and lives at Christmas time.
My childhood memories of Christmas are this. A tree freshly cut from our own property lit up with  blue lights, and silver balls and  lots of tinsel. Each little strand put on individuality. I could not imagine that now. The house always smelled of something wonderful with aroma's of cinnamon and cloves. A ham studded with cloves and pineapple rings baked in the oven for hours. A table set with Mom's green dishware which I have now and use for the occasion. My grandmother and many aunts and uncles and cousins coming for the holiday.
My grandmother and I would play Christmas carols at the piano and sometimes we would play a duet. Her feet a tapping and mine a dangling off the piano bench. My Dad and uncles and all their story telling went on for hours as they tried to outdo one another with their wild tales. My mind and heart are flooded with such sweet memories. I only hope I have set those same warm feelings within my own children to hold tight to and reflect upon.


Well the daylight is fading to twilight and I must start thinking about tonight's meal. 
Tomorrow we go for the tree and our house will be in the Christmas spirit before the weekend commences. 
Have a thoughtful evening and do not forget to be grateful even for the smallest things as some do not even have a warm place to sleep or food to eat.
Just be thankful for what you have in life.
Blessings.











No comments:

Post a Comment