Friday, December 2, 2011

OUR LITTLE FRIEND


Posted by PicasaThis little guy loves sitting on our deck railing munching away on his peanuts. I was watching him while doing dishes at the kitchen window. First of all he was running around the hot tub digging in the leaves on the deck trying to find a burying spot for his nut but he did not like that idea I guess because then he jumped into my big herb barrel but he did not bury it there either. Then he went into another planter box and dug and dug but did not bury his nut. Then I see him sitting on the deck railing  just munching away on his treasure. I guess he thought.....why not? Better now than later. Anyhow it was fun to watch his antic's.


Today we will be watching the OREGON Ducks play in their Pac 12 championship. They will be playing UCLA. We are expected to win by many points. I surely hope so as we will be off to the Rose Bowl if this is our win tonight.


I have sloppy Joe's in the slow cooker as I write. I love this simple little recipe but it is very tasty with a hit of heat.
I am using smaller sized burger buns I will butter and toast them in the skillet I always have to have a toasted warm bun. We like to sprinkle chopped onions on top the Joe. I made sweet dill pickles yesterday so they will be added to the plate and hubby will have tator tots. I do not like tot's so may have a few low salt Lay's chips. I like using the slow cooker on game days. It is so handy as all stays warm and you can dish up whenever you want, just once or many times.


Here is the recipe. I will take a photo of the finished product before it goes in my mouth. Hope I remember as I am feeling hungry already.


SLOW COOKER SLIPPY JOE'S
3 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
1 and 1/2 cups ketchup
1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper or a combo of both
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoons chili powder
Black pepper to taste
Your favorite buns


Brown ground beef, onion and peppers in skillet.
Drain excess fat.
Combine ketchup, bell pepper, Worcestershire suace, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and chili powder in bowl, mix and pour into the slow cooker. Add brown beef mixture and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 
Spoon onto buns. Add additional chopped onions, or scallions, or sliced pickled jalenpeno's or whatever you prefer. Don't forget your slow cooker liners as there is no mess that way.
This is easy and tasty and what could be better for game day?


I have not walked as yet and you know today my back is giving me trouble. So I may not make it out the door. I have arthritis in my middle back region. My thinking is it was caused from having radiation treatment to that area as well as the rest of my body when I was in my 30's. My doctor had told me at the time that I may develop arthritis along my spine in my later years. Well it did arrive about ten years ago. So oh, yeah!
When the weather is cold and damp like it was this morning I truly suffer more with it. I take nothing for it and do not dwell on the fact that it is there. If I plop in my comfy chair for breaks during the late afternoon I revive and am good to go for a while longer. It is what it is, as they say.


Well I must do a few other things before game time.
Till later and GO DUCKS!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment