Saturday, December 3, 2011

THE OLDEN DAYS


Posted by PicasaThis is where I grew up on the farm on 60 plus acres forty five miles northwest of Portland. What you see in the background beyond the driveway is the Columbia River. The group assembled here front row from left to right is my aunt Lila, the little girl in the suspenders is me, then my uncle Albert sitting. Back row left is my handsome father and beautiful mother, my aunt Alieen and uncle Roy, cousin Patty and the little boy is my cousin Joey. The car is my uncle Roy's. 
I am sure this photo was taken on a Sunday as that is the day family would drive out from Portland to visit. My Dad had four brothers with families that all lived in the Portland area. So there was always company at our farm on the weekends it seemed.


My Mother would cook non-stop for the family. She loved doing so. She was a grand homemaker, cook and hostess. No wonder everyone would come weekend after weekend. 
I so remember my uncles talking and reminiscing, laughing and telling jokes on one another. My cousins and I would be outdoors and the simple sounds of meal preparation and the chatter emanating from the house through the open windows made me feel secure in my life with my adoring family around me.


The strange thing about that old farm is this. All that lived there which included myself, parents, and two brothers, one uncle and aunt and later my older brother with his wife and three children cannot recall fonder times in their lives than those spent at that farm. We all hold such treasures in our hearts for those years lived there.
We were fortunate that an area, a special piece of land and extended family touched each and every one of us in such a meaningful way. For myself I feel so thankful for my years spent there while I was growing and learning about life.


Back to reality. We won our Pac 12 championship game last. We knew we were going to win but UCLA played a very good game. So now we are Rose Bowl bound. The winner today of the Michigan St. and Wisconsin game will determine who we play there. We are proud of our football team here in Eugene Oregon.


As is my usual behavior  I was so hungry by the time we ate I did not take a photo of the yummy sloppy joe. Well it was just a sloppy joe after all, no matter.
Tonight I am making my version of german pork chops in the skillet. I will make a side of fried green cabbage, carrots and sliced potatoes. Very easy to make and appropriate for a chilly evening.


It is another really cold morning here again in the southern Willamette Valley.
It is still foggy out which holds that icy cold in. I am waiting for the sky to break and sun to begin warming all up. I will then walk. I hate waiting as my back tends to get achy in later afternoon. But I do not like cold and therefore do not walk if I know the sun is coming.
When I lived all those years in Central Oregon.....33 actually anyhow a long time. I suppose I did quite well with the cold as I was younger. But when we moved to the valley I knew I was where I needed to be. I grew up in western Oregon and am content to be here once again.
Life is just harder in snow country. All the years of driving home from work in the black of winters night on frozen and icy roads with hands gripping the wheel was certainly stressful. When the temp's dropped to below freezing  it seems the house was always a little chilly. I would have comfy chair to snuggle up in near our heat source which was usually a wood stove or fireplace that would supplement the electric heat. I am still a fan for feeling warm and cozy. I always have a blanket near by. Even now when the last dish is put away and my chores are done for the day I plop on the sofa and reach for my blankie.


Well I do have a few to-do's today before hubby gets home from work so best get at them and hopefully the sun will peep through the fog so I can walk.
Have a lovely weekend whatever it is you are doing.



No comments:

Post a Comment