Saturday, December 24, 2011

HOLIDAY MOMENTS


Posted by PicasaHere are some of my favorite photo's as they fill my heart with home.
I do so love my special little traditions from years past. The tablecloth on the table is one that I made years ago when the children were small. They have coordinating napkins homemade as well and are also on the Thanksgiving here this year. 


The apple pie is a standard in this household I have usesd the same recipe for years. Why change something if it works?


Of course fires to me means cozy. We love to have a fire outdoors in winter when the weather allows. In fact two days ago we sat on the deck and cuddled near the fire and talked and planned as the gray day broke to blue sky and  temperatures   dropped. Unfortunately  we do not have natural gas in our home to have a fireplace indoors but Gina and Doug bought us our little electric stove last year for Christmas so now we have ambiance  in the family room. We love it.


The old piano just keeps getting older every year as I do. So many years we have enjoyed together. As I sat yesterday playing Christmas music my eyes filled with tears and my heart was so full. My friend, my piano.


The tree of course is a different size and shape each year. But what adorns it varies little. The same balls, doves, crystal ornaments. The last items to go on are my Mom's sparkly rhinestone jewelry. I snap the earings on to the branches, hang the bracelets and necklaces from the limbs by the white lights for lots of glitter. So in respect and love for my wonderful Mothers we hold her close and share memories as we hang her jewelry.


Today I feel meloncoly as I repeat rituals. The last of the baking though I did not do that much this year. Today I will make a pear/rum upside cake to be served with whipped cream after our Christmas meal. You make this desert in an iron skillet. The batter is buttery and tender the pears give it a tart sweet taste with the rum and brown sugar. I also need to make mixed berry sauce for our little Trader Joe's New York style cheesecake. These are good little cheese cakes. We will have that for our desert tonight.
A simple quiche tonight with fresh steamed asparagus and a bottle of prosecco. We love our Christmas Eve's we have always made them special for the two of us. We will exchange our little gifts. Mine to hubby are beautifully wrapped his to me in a bag with tissue lol.


Tomorrow morning my son arrives and with him is a friend and co-worker who had no Christmas plans so my son invited him to our home. The day will be filled with food, drinks, laughter and a new friend.


Well I must get on to baking the upside down cake and do my last minute cleaning. The walk still awaits me. Today is a mild day with some blue and gray sky adrift in the clouds. 


Have a lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas day.
From our home to yours Holiday Greetings.



No comments:

Post a Comment