Wednesday, June 12, 2013

GRILLED BUTTERFLIED CHICKEN WITH ROSEMARY AND LEMON THYME


Posted by PicasaWe decided this is the best chicken we ever grilled. This photo was taken after I separated the thighs and leg portion that is why they are sitting backward to the chicken.

This is what I did.
One whole chicken with backbone removed and breast cracked. Rubbed with olive oil and seasoned generously with cumin, coriander  salt, pepper and paprika. Spread all over chicken evenly with a pasty brush.
Line a baking tray with two layers of foil and spray with cooking oil. Before placing the chicken, breast up on the baking pan make a bundle of fresh rosemary sprigs and lemon thyme and flat leaf italian parsley. Tie this bundle together with cooking string. Place on the baking pan and center the chicken over the bundle. Roast on grill at approximately 375 degrees for about an hour. When an instant read thermometer stuck into the fat part of the thigh registers 165 degrees it is done.

Extra cooking tips. My hubby made a pan of alder chips to smoke on one burner under the grill top, to that he would add every so often  more springs of rosemary and thyme creating a smokey fragrance that probably drove everyone in our neighborhood crazy as well as making that chicken taste so fragrant and lovely.
Also I turned the chicken about three quarters through it's grilling time. That way we had crispy crust on both sides.
The chicken was so crispy and flavorful with the earthy rub and it was chin dripping juicy on the inside. I am telling you that breast meat melted in your mouth.

We ate a good share of that chicken last night as I only served a ear of corn for each of us and ranch beans to the side.

Also a very enjoyable part of the process was the both of us sitting outdoors. It was a gray late cool afternoon so we kept warm sitting behind the grill as that amazing aroma wafted about us. Fun!!!!! Folks that do not enjoy cooking are missing so much in life, my feeling anyhow.

Today the remaining chicken will be morphed into red and white chicken chili. A simple but yummy recipe that cooks in the slow cooker. I will make corn muffins this evening also I always use jiffy mix but add cottage cheese or cream corn or something like that to them so they are heavy and moist. We like to put these dense muffins in the bottom of a deep bowl and pour the chili over, then add chopped onion and cheese to the top. I will post the red and white chili recipe tomorrow.

I just came in from outdoors before starting this post. I was tidying the deck and bringing in the chair cushions and readying the deck  for a little shower, which the paper said would not come in until tomorrow. But looking at this sky right now I am thinking it could happen anytime.

We were both tired this morning when we got up at 5:30 AM. We stayed up later than usual watching a very stupid movie that we both fell asleep to out on the sofa's. Why we do this sometimes is beyond me. I hate then to wake myself up and drag to bed and start all over again. I have another busy day ahead of me also so I had better get some energy going. I need a boost so maybe a sports drink or a cup of tea. I am going to walk this morning so that usually gives me a lift.

I will leave you now and really you should try chicken this way. 
Best grilled if the weather is conducive to that. Or you can do it in our oven at 375 degrees. You can go one line if you do not know how to scissor cut the back bone out and break the breast bone. The main thing is have fun with the whole process, make it an event.
Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment