Thursday, June 13, 2013

RED AND WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

We enjoyed the chili last night though I did not make it spicy as I cannot do spicy any longer and hubby can add as much heat as he likes after he dishes up.
So this is what I did.
This recipe is for the slow cooker.

Red and White chicken chili.
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
1 can small red beans, drained
1 can small white beans drained
1 plus cup chicken broth
1/2 onion small chopped
1 large red bell pepper finely chopped
1 anaheim pepper seeded and finely chopped(for more heat use a jalapeno
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons of ground cumin 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
Mrs. Dash or salt to taste and black pepper
Secret weapon. A good squirt of ketchup
Put in slow cooker and stir well.
Cook low for about 7 hours or high for 3 1/2 hours.
If you want a thinner chili add more chicken broth or if you desire a chunky version just cut down on the broth.

Try my trick with Jiffy corn muffin mix.
1 box Jiffy mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
and add 1/3 cup shredded mexican cheese, or a dab of cottage cheese about a 1/3 cup or a 1/3 cup of cream corn.
These all add some texture and density to the corn muffins so they are just not dry and crumbly. Bake as directed on box.
I used cheese last night and they were yummy.

I did take a good looking photo of our meal but I could not download it to my blog post. Sometimes I have to try a few times and did not want to take the time today.

This morning as we were slowly edging out of our comfy warm bed my husband said, is that rain I hear?
Well yes it was actually pounding on the roof. It was dark and dreary and wet!
This event made us want to climb back into the bed that still held our body heat. But the day must go forward regardless of the weather.
It is now several hours later and the sky has brightened considerably  I had my own mission this morning as I was going grocery shopping, banking, dropping off items at St. Vinney's and a meat market stop. I was lucky and never got caught in a cloud burst.

This afternoon I am waxing and cleaning furniture. This is something I actually enjoy doing. I started yesterday on my antique pieces. I enjoy touching the wood that is so very old, polishing the little decorative trims and cravings. It is amazing how the patina just comes to life with a good waxing. So several pieces are done and now waits the biggy my big old oak piano as well as the rest of the wood furniture. When I am finished the entire house will smell of lemon polish.....I love that.

Tonight we will dine on leftover soup and muffins so an easy night in the kitchen for me. I picked up some pork spareribs and sirloin steaks at the market today. So in a few days I will make swiss steak with peppers in a rich tomato sauce served over silky mashed potatoes. I love it that way. I like having the St.Louis ribs on hand as hubby gets a yearning for bbq ribs every now and then. So I try to keep a package on hand.

Well that bottle of furniture is calling my name so I will put on some music and tend to that chore.

Enjoy the rain if you are having it also. Actually I do not mind one bit if I have nothing planned for outdoors. It is rather cozy and somehow makes me feel content.I suppose I am like my Mother in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment