Monday, September 22, 2014

APPLE PIE HOT OUT OF THE OVEN

I finally got this pie made. And we had a piece last night and it taste as good as it looks. There is just something about the taste of gravenstein apples in a pie that is so comforting and yummy. As I have said many times it reminds me of the farm where I grew up with a huge gravenstein apple tree that my mother totally made use of by making pies, cobblers and apple fritters as well as many quarts of applesauce each year.

Our dinner last night was reminiscent of Thanksgiving. I roasted a turkey breast and it served it with mashed potatoes with turkey gravy and cranberry sauce and tomatoes, cukes and sweet onions marinated in apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper. And then topped off with a slice apple pie and home style vanilla ice cream........well what more can I say except we never said a word while eating our dinner we just hummed and  totally cleaned our plates. Then I took care of the kitchen and we sprawled contentedly on our individual sofa's and watched one of our fave series, "Hell on Wheels". After that program my husband went out like a light and I watched a PBS program as he snored(had to turn up the volume) and then we hit the sack and sleep like babies.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday. My hubby got home early. He worked in the garage tidying and working on some of his flooring equipment. I cleaned and scrubbed the deck and all the patio furniture. The pie was already made and cooling. After the deck was sparkling clean we both sat and relaxed out there with a glass of white wine, loaded with ice and mixed berries and grapes. It was hot for a late September day. A little later the sky was loaded with crumbled clouds. It was so gorgeous as if someone had tossed handfuls of small cotton balls up in the air. We sat at the patio table and played a couple of games and sipped more wine while the jays were going crazy in the tree above our heads. What they had to chatter about so loudly I do not know. After they quieted the frogs began in earnest. A croak here and a croak there and another croak from another location. They had quite a orchestra going. But we did not hear a peep from any human and that was lovely just us and nature in our small backyard area.

My gal friend from across the mountains will be here tomorrow. I am concerned about the weather now.
It shows showers for tomorrow. We were wanting to spend the afternoon on the deck, snacking and sipping good Oregon wine and relaxing in the warmth with much chatter and friendship. Well it will be warm eighty degree's, but sun? That is questionable. So we may need to spend the day indoors.......darn.

I have a laundry list of things to do today. First thing is office, making out a few billing statements and making out some bills, then a run to the farm for some veggies, and then some cleaning in my kitchen. 
At least I need not be concerned about dinner. It will be a repeat of last nights meal.
My husband is making fresh salsa with some of our tomatoes after he gets home today. He uses diced fresh tomatoes, chopped sweet onions, lots of jalapeno's, cilantro, salt and a good amount of lime juice. It is so very fresh tasting. 

Well with what I must accomplish today I had better get out these sweats, get dressed and get with it!
See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment