Thursday, July 1, 2010

It has been a week since I last blogged.
What can I say? I have been having too much fun and have been so busy.

I do sit at times though and watch my garden grow. The tomatoes are over the tops of their cages now. The cukes and squash leaves look like rain forest foliage. The best thing is the snails are gone so the flowers are safe and have big smiles! Now though I notice garden spiders. Last year they built their webs about the patio faster than I could broom them down. Oh well I will take them any day over snails, not meaning to complain. I am a happy woman.

My friend was here and what a great gal time we had. I do not need to go in to what we did but let me just say our mouths and throats were sore from so much laughter and chatter. How two people can talk non stop for days and never run out of things to talk about amazes me.

My hubby has not been working this past week so he was here underfoot........not that I mind at all. When he does not have jobs scheduled we have a good time together. I try not to structure my days to tight as we always wind up going somewhere or playing games, cooking together and enjoying good food and wine. So I have had a week of pleasure and self indulgence.
He is back on a job site today so I must get all my to-do's done this next couple of days so I can enjoy the weekend.

Today I grocery shop. The fridge and pantry are all but bare. Last nights dinner was uninspiring but we survived it (barely). I made our menu out last night for the coming week and I am looking forward to making some creative meals this coming week.

The 4th of July is on Sunday. We are invited as always to my sister-in-laws home for their annual 4th of July party. Lots of food, lots of people and lots of fireworks. This year we will pop in for a short while and then come home and make our own 4th fare on the grill. Hubby has to be on the job site early Monday morning, which by the way his birthday. He thinks it is quite the let down having a birthday on the 5th of July. He always contends that his mother should have made more of an effort for his timely arrival. She was in labor in her hospital bed while listening to the fireworks but he did not appear until after midnight. Do not think it works that way!
We went to his fave restaurant the other day to celebrate early. I drove so he could indulge in a couple of margarita's. We shopped after a late lunch at World Market. We have a good time in that store. We poke around the food section and toss in this and that that we have not tried before. We always pick up a bottle or two of nice wine and some special beers.

Even though his birthday is the 5th and he will be working I will have a nice dinner for him when he arrives home. I was thinking of fresh deep fried halibut and coleslaw and fresh strawberry shortcake made with biscuits for desert. I have so many biscuit recipes no favorite really but I like them light and buttery. I do know the key is not to handle the dough to much just be very gentle with it. Actually I usually just pat my biscuits into shape rather than roll them. Strawberries are everywhere now at the farms and road side stands. Love this time of year!

Tonight we are having a big green salad with Cesar dressing and topped with Traders Joe's albacore tuna in olive oil. I am making cheese toasts to go with. We were both craving lighter fare this evening.

I must get out the door now and on to the grocery shopping marathon.
I will have a good recipe for you tomorrow.
Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment