Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What a long weekend for us. The 4th of July weekend then my husbands birthday on the 5th. Seems we munched and grazed ourselves through the weekend. It was good to get on the walking shoes this morning and walk briskly for 45 minutes or so.

It is breezy here today and according to the local paper the heat is on our doorstep. So a little breeze is surely welcome.

Today I am catching my breath and catching up. Much needed attended to in the house this morning. The washing machine is spinning out it's third load and the dryer has been beeping at me all morning. I really did nothing this past four days, except play and cook and eat.

Today I am going to share my festive salsa with you. Now mind you my hubby is the salsa king in this family. However he likes his hot and spicy and I like mine mild. So today I am making it the way I prefer it. Of course you can take this recipe and add more heat by adding more jalapenos. Hubby's recipe and mine are different in other ways also. He likes his straightforward and simple I like more veggies in mine.
I have a small food processor that I use when making salsa with canned tomatoes. When I use our fresh tomatoes I just chop all the ingredients by hand and mix together.
Our tomatoes are just at bloom stage now and tumbling out of their cage tops. Our mouths water just thinking of the sweet juicy taste of home grown tomatoes. But for now we must have patience and be content with watching them grow.

Zo's Festive Salsa
Ingredients:
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
1 jalapeno cleaned, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 bunch of cilantro cleaned and chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels thawed
Juice of one lime
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients but the canned tomatoes and corn in the food processor and process to small dice.
Add the tomatoes to the processor and pulse to incorporate in, do this several times. The tomatoes will get foamy if you do not take your time here and pulse.
Remove to a container and add in the thawed the corn and mix well.

Serve with corn chips, I prefer the blue corn my husband likes yellow corn, you can also serve with toasted pita bites. It is also amazing used as a topper on toasted artisan bread.

I just returned from outdoors. I lowered the patio umbrella as the wind is starting to gust. The wind is so warm and it is armed with grass pollen that I am sure of.

Till later, I must tie on the apron and get on with the salsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment