Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Watching the garden grow

Watching our garden grow is so rewarding. The tomatoes have totally grown out of their cages and my husband has strung twine all around to keep them tucked in their beds. We have small green tomatoes now on all of the plants. We are harvesting the first of our squash and cucumbers. We find much pleasure just sitting at the end of the garden space, soaking up the heat and gazing at our garden. It seems it does not take much to amuse us. Ahhh the simple life!

Tonight for dinner we are having red and black beans with rice and cheese tucked into burritos. It is simple but completely filling. I am making a side dish of sliced cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes with a sweet/tangy vinaigrette. I grew up on this side dish. When the veggies came on in our garden my Mother would make this several times a week.

Marinated cukes, onions and tomatoes.
I cucumber sliced
1/2 sweet onion sliced
2 tomatoes sliced

Vinaigrette
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 /4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste.

You can adjust the vinegar and sugar to your own taste. We like it tangy with a hint of sweetness. It will leave you with a bit of a pucker in your mouth.
Pour over the veggies in a bowl so they are completely covered, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for several hours to meld the flavors.
Serve in a individual dishes along side your main course.

I have much to do today as I am leaving on another little jaunt Friday to see my family. I am attending my youngest grandsons grad party from high school. As a family we have not all been together in the same place in quite a few years. It will be wonderful to be in the presence of those I love so dearly.
My daughter and I will be celebrating our birthdays also with a little gift exchange on this trip. We always do this but not past this late date. Both of our birthdays have passed long ago. Well in a way it has worked out. I have kept finding items over the months, tucking in this and that. It will be fun for her to unwrap all these little treasures. So I best get them wrapped. That will be one thing I can check off my list of to-do's today.

Have a nice Monday. The start of the week I know but I find I like to get back to a routine after a busy weekend.
Till tomorrow.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment