Monday, July 12, 2010

What do the farms, pizza and ironing have in common? They make me happy!

First the pizzeria we went to the other evening was amazing. There are only thirty of these pizza ovens in the U.S. the pizza is done in ninety seconds, yes ninety seconds. All the ingredients are made by hand everything is fresh, fresh. The crust was sumptuous I do not know how else to describe it. It was so delicate and crusty. Little burnt spots on the bottom and along the edge of the crust. I could have just ordered the crust and been happy. My husband loved the pomodoro sauce, we were both humming while munching.

This morning I once again went to the farms. Seems every couple of days I make that little trip. However I bought two big bags full today. Everything looked so bright and fresh. The cherries are so sweet I could barely stop eating them. I am sure they are from neighboring Washington state. There was a huge selection today and all looked so wonderful. I enjoy it out there so much, it just smells like farmland and the big sky looms above. As you know I grew up on a farm so it brings back welcomed childhood memories.

Now as to the ironing. I never iron and I had mentioned that to my friend that visited recently. She said, well I love to iron it is so relaxing. So I thought well I will iron today as some items were hanging wrinkled in the closets which I knew the dryer could not remedy. So I set up the ironing board in the kitchen. The kitchen screen door was open and I could hear the jays in the trees. The radio in the nook was on low playing the blues. I started ironing and humming along and I felt so happy in my kitchen where I feel so at home. When I finished the clothing items I actually went looking for more to iron. I did feel so content and it was therapeutic after a morning of running and chores. My friend was right.

We are having roasted vegetable casserole with tomatoes this evening. This is a food network recipe and it is so good. I have made it many times with different variations. The veggies roast in a casserole dish with olive oil and fresh herbs, tomatoes lay perfectly on top and then bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese is crumbled over the top. The tomatoes help keep it all juicy and roasting the vegetables intensifies their flavor. My twist on the recipe is that I always place crispy slices of polenta rounds in a flat bottom bowl and smother them with the roasted veggies.
In my blog tomorrow I will include the recipe for both the casserole and the polenta. Also I hope to include a photo.

I am just running out of time at this point and I must go now and get water on my flowers. It was cooler today but they still need their drink at the end of the day.
Till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment