Wednesday, September 29, 2010

OLD WORLD DINNER

Crusted potato cakes with fried peppers and sausage with bravo and mustard sauce. Quite an explosion in your mouth!
It was a simple rustic European meal. It was a savory mix of flavors. Also I added some of our garden tomatoes and cukes marinated in a tangy vinaigrette sauce.
I will share what I did with the left over mashed potatoes. Now remember I cooked the potatoes with chopped garlic and then mashed with sour cream and butter. So I took the cold mashed potatoes and put them in a bowl then I added a beaten egg and some flour and freshly grated asiago cheese. And then using my hands making a ball I then flattened them into my palm and put into the panko crumbs just pushing gently to absorb the crumbs on the bottom side. I then used a spatula and turned over the cake to crust the top side. Then gently set on a plate and repeated with the rest of the potato mixture.
When my canola oil was hot I eased the cakes into the sizzling oil being careful as not to break them. I turned them just once after the bottoms had crisped. Drained on parchment paper and served. A mouthful of crunchy crust and soft interior is what you are looking for.

It seems most of the food I prepare and serve is simple yet is unique in someway. I like that. Hubby never quite knows what combination's of items will be on his dinner plate unless he is participating in the cooking.

We have low hanging clouds again today and it is now nearly three pm and the sun is just starting to catch that gray blanket on fire.
I just talked to my brother in Washington state and he said the day there is perfect. He is once again at his beloved Silver Lake. I wish we were with him. Oh to be retired huh?

I must get on with some paper work this afternoon in the office so I will close for today.
I hope the sun is shinning where you are and that you enjoying something outdoors.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment