Wednesday, September 22, 2010

WONDERFUL TOMATO PIE

Wonderful tomato pie is the name of the recipe it should have been the Soggy Bottom Tomato pie. I copied this recipe in it's entirety from our local newspaper. At the time I was making it I thought to myself this crust needs to be pre-baked before adding the ingredients, but the recipe actually assured me that the baking of the crust ahead of time was not required.
I must say that the pie itself is quite delicious. Two cheese varieties and fresh basil make for a bite full of pure pleasure.
I always make my pie crust the same way and it never fails to please. I am going to share recipe and if you want to put in a unbaked shell make sure you totally drain those tomatoes also it may help to use a less juicy variety other than Heirloom. I am taking the leftover pie tonight and popping back into the oven to see if that bottom crust will crisp up a bit.
TOMATO PIE
one pie crust homemade or purchased
3 cups of tomatoes sliced horizontally and well drained to remove excess liquid, Heirlooms tomatoes are an excellent choice if available.
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
one ball of fresh mozzarella cheese thinly sliced or two cups shredded
Herbs de Provence or Italian seasonings of your choice
paprika for sprinkling on pie top
one cup shredded Parmesan cheese
one cup may

Layer ingredients into your crust (9"pie plate)
Lay a layer of sliced mozzarella to cover the bottom of the pie crust
next lay a layer of the tomatoes then top with the basil and herbs and or seasonings
repeating each layer until you are close to the rim of the dish
Mix the Parmesan with the mayo till blended and spread this mixture evenly over the filling making sure to seal the edges, sprinkle with paprika. Bake 350 degrees for approximately 35-45 minutes until brown and bubbly.
I served this pie with shredded romaine lettuce topped with our crisp fresh cukes and sweet onion slices drizzled with Italian dressing.
I would give this pie a try as the flavors are so rich with the Heirloom tomatoes and cheese actually it reminded me of a Margaretta pizza.
When I make pie crust I always make a little extra for my little tarts as my family calls them. Actually they are little rolls ups. I roll a thin rectangle of dough, butter it and sprinkle Cinnamon and sugar over and roll jelly roll style and then cut into pieces about an inch wide. Set on parchment paper on a small baking pan, dab with melted butter and bake at about 375 degrees for about a half hour until the dough has slightly browned. They are so good with coffee in the morning. Just pop these little guys into your mouth , chew and down with coffee. When my children were small they loved these little treats. I would let them help and sometimes they put homemade jam in them. I can recall their chubby little fingers glistening with the jam and crumbs loading their chins. GOOD STUFF MOM!

It is quite a pleasant day here today in Eugene. Hubby mowed the yards and did some weeding. I ran for the weekly groceries and took care of household chores.

I am about through with my exciting book, it is hard to put down once I pick it up. But I do not give myself the pleasure of sitting in my chair and reading until my daily to-do's are done.
Actually my to-do's are completed for the day so I am off to my chair and book. I am outta here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment