Friday, September 3, 2010

SUMMER MEAL

Is there anything better than a summer meal? This yummy plate consists of corn on the cob with honey butter, fresh green beans with bacon, chicken tenders baked in Parmesan crust served with zucchini relish and our garden cucumbers and roma tomatoes dressed with honey mustard dressing. All home made just old fashioned simple fare. Oh and the glass of pinot gris from a local winery is a lovely treat.

A great sunny day today. We were going to go blackberry picking but it will be to warm this afternoon by the time hubby gets home. So it is on the agenda for Monday morning. We will pick enough for two pies. I will post photo's of the pies. I make my own crust from the same recipe I have used for years. We adore fruit pies, especially berry pies with a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream, good stuff!

Yesterday my husband spent a good deal of time cleaning our big grill. That is a chore so I am happy he was the one doing it. I worked outdoors also cleaning the deck and doing some weeding and tidying. I was a very pleasant afternoon after we finished our chores we sat in the garden area sipping wine and watching our tomatoes and peppers grow.
We will grill this evening I need to check the freezer to see what we will have. We have a lot of tomatoes coming on now, so of course we will slice some of those red beauties to go with. Yesterday for lunch I made us a tomato sammie. Just nothing but fresh garden tomatoes with mayo, salt and pepper on whole wheat. I ate so many of those sandwiches when I was a young girl growing up on the farm. The pink juice drips onto your chin and then your plate when you take your first bite. We were quite in awe of our simple juicy tomato sandwiches.

Well a big weekend coming up for a lot of folks. We try to avoid going anywhere on holiday weekends. So we are staying home and watching the first of the college football games. My husband is a avid fan of college football. He does not care for the pro's and that sits well with me. Our first Oregon game with New Mexico is tomorrow, the Oregon State game follows.
We have planned our menu the most important thing is the food you know.
We will start with a brunch of huevo ranchero's with Cesar drinks. For those of you that do not know what a Cesar is it is like a bloody mary but made with clamato juice instead of tomato juice. We find it lighter and more flavorful. We have introduced our take on this drink to family and friends and they start serving it up also. The huevo's are a fave for brunch and go so well with the drinks. Then in the afternoon we are doing chicken wings, I guess that is not to original but maybe the way we do them is. My husband likes the full wing with just the tips clipped. We dip them in Franks hot wing sauce, then bread them in krustez bake and fry with panko crumbs mixed in and deep fry in the wok. They come out so crispy and there is heat in the chicken. I serve with my Mom's cafe blue cheese dressing, celery sticks and extra Franks and lots of napkins. So it will be a fun day tomorrow with games and food.

Well I must get out the door on my walk before the heat is up.
Have a great weekend, stay safe if you are traveling.
Till later.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment