Monday, September 20, 2010

Tomato sauce day

Today I am making frozen tomato sauce. I make a plain tomato sauce and will freeze in quart containers. To thaw you just drop the block of frozen tomato sauce in your pot and it will slowly melt. Then you add whatever ingredients you like depending on what you are making. Making the sauce does not take long as it is an easy process.
You just wash and stem your tomatoes. Then add about four to six tomatoes depending on size to a pot of boiling water. When the skins start to split and pull away from the tomato use a slotted spoon and remove from the pot and let cool. When cooled remove the skins. Cut each tomato in half and put in food processor or blender to process. Pour the pureed tomatoes into a large pot and bring to a boil. Let cool. Then put in containers and freeze. How simple is that? Just imagine how fresh that sauce will taste in the middle of winter.

I wish I could have taken a photo of our Pork Verde rice and bean bowls last night. They were beautiful and a big mouthful of spicy layered flavor. I topped them off with chopped onion and cilantro.
My camera was charging so it was unavailable to me.
I previously posted a pork Verde recipe on my blog but of course each time I make it is perhaps a little different as I use what I have on hand. To assemble the bowls put cooked rice of your choice in the bottom, then a layer of canned rinsed red beans, then ladle over some sauce from the slow cooker, then a scoop of the tender meat, more broth and the toppings. I used a big spoon I did not want to waste one bite of that yummy sauce.

The sun is suppose to be shinning for us today here in Eugene. If you looked outdoors right now though you would doubt that. A dreary gray blanket has us covered but I am hoping for the best. Our deck needs a really good cleaning as it is littered with leaves and debris off the trees. My flowers are flooded in the cedar barrels from the torrents of rain we have had in the past few days. To top that off nasty little snails have made their appearance once more. Oh yeah. I
wonder where they go when it is a hundred degree's outdoors? They do not die from the heat as they are right back once it cools down and gets damp. Deplorable things! Well not to be negative so I will not dwell I am sure you have heard me rant enough about the snails.

I must get on with household chores now, it is Monday and I hardly lifted a finger over the weekend.
Till tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment