Monday, December 27, 2010

CLASSIC TURKEY DIVAN



Today our sky is a gray flannel blanket that is starting to give off moisture. Typical for a northwest winter day. I hope I can get my walk in today as yesterday was a deluge!

It is definitely going to be turkey week at this household. We had a repeat of Christmas dinner last night and tonight we are having Turkey Divan, tomorrow night turkey taco's. Then with the final remains we will have turkey soup with home made egg noodles. Then enough already!

We were sure laid back yesterday. I read snuggled in my chair as the rain assaulted the windows. Hubby was cozy on the sofa with his blanket watching the telly. We will take the rain any day than what is happening in the northeast right now. The paper said that the New Jersey shore had a foot and a half of snow and 40 per mile winds........no thanks.
Watching the news and all those vehicles sliding everywhere conjured up memories of the years spent driving in Central Oregon, white knuckle driving as I called it.

Here is the recipe for the Turkey Divan. I have been making this recipe for longer than I can remember with left over turkey. It is yummy and easy to make.

CLASSIC TURKEY DIVAN
Two bunches of fresh broccoli trimmed
1/4 cup butter or margarine
6 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons dry sherry, I prefer to use a splash of white wine instead
Three to four cups of roasted turkey
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Paprika for sprinkling on top of casserole

Steam or boil broccoli then drain
Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour and whisk together to make a roux while slowly pouring in the chicken broth while constantly stirring making a smooth mixture. Add the salt and pepper keep stirring until the mixture thickens and bubbles then stir in the cream and wine and remove from heat.
Place broccoli pieces crosswise in a 12x7 1/2 casserole dish sprayed with a little cooking oil for easy cleanup.
Add half of the sauce then top with the turkey pieces. To the remaining sauce stir in the Parmesan cheese and pour over the turkey. Grate more Parmesan over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
Bake 350 degree's for 25 minutes till heated and then pop under the broiler till the sauce is bubbly and golden.
Makes 6-8 servings.
I will serve this with the last of the apple sausage dressing and cranberry sauce. I hope you try this recipe it is a great way to serve left over turkey or chicken.

My husband is working today it has been so dreadfully slow for him. We need the $$$$ as well as I need my space at home for a few days. How do retired folks do it, you know being together all the time? I know we do quite well as we are compatible and we are quiet together so we have our own space but it's still not the same as being totally alone with one's thoughts and daily doings.

I have much to accomplish today so best get at it.
Have a great Monday whatever you are doing. I know the folks on the east coast are probably snuggled up in new cozy socks and sweats and spending the day indoors watching the snow pile up.

Golly, when this blog published for some reason the font size is huge, I tired to change it but no such luck. At least you can read it unless you are nearly blind..........sorry.




No comments:

Post a Comment