Thursday, December 2, 2010

MOM'S GINGER CREAM COOKIES

I had fun yesterday afternoon making these cookies. They smell so wonderful when they are baking and the house fills with the aroma of warm spices.
I like these cookies much better now than when I was a child. My husband loves the soft interior and the gingerbread taste. They taste like Christmas!
I have my Mother's old cookbooks and use them regularly. I also use her colored Pyrex bowls that have never seen the inside of a dishwasher. They are still as colorful and perfect as when they were new. But they are not new and have been used for years holding delicious foods as well as fond memories. The photo in the background is one of my Mother taken when she was a young woman I was about two years old at the time.

It is a nasty looking day. It is damp and gray. The neighborhood offers nothing of interest. Piles of grimy leaves still lingering about, dirty driveways and rain rotted plants. Yesterday as I walked I tried to find one thing that was visually attractive. Then came to view the three huge sequoia trees I pass everyday on my walk. These trees never cease to thrill me with their grandeur. They make me thankful I can walk in their presence as many others have done in years past.

Last night the spinach cheddar pie was wonderful. It came out of the oven all puffy with crispy cheese on top. I did dabble with the recipe a bit. So I am going to share how I made it as it was so tasty. It would make a great brunch dish. In fact hubby had a piece for breakfast this morning.

Spinach Cheddar Crust-less Quiche.
2 1/4 cups of cheddar cheese grated(save some for the top)
2 tablespoons of flour
4 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt and dash pepper
paprika for sprinkling
3/4's of a bag of fresh spinach chopped

Toss the cheese with the flour. In a separate large bowl combine the beaten eggs with the spinach and salt and pepper. Add the cheese mix well and pour into a greased quiche plate. Top with a little more cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
I served a salad with romaine lettuce, English cucumber slices, radishes and onion.
So we had a veggie night and it was filling and yummy. The quiche is especially good with a little hot sauce of your choice drizzled over the top.

Tonight hubby is working late so I have decided to make my sausage potato soup with Lisa's bread. The bread spread recipe was given to me years ago and it has become a favorite that we make often.

Lisa's Parmesan bread spread.
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
1 clove of garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste
a dab of Worcestershire sauce
1 bunch of green onions thinly sliced.

Mix altogether and spread on sour bread, artisan bread or rolls. You can toast the bread or rolls first if you like for more crunch. Then pop under the broiler on Hi until the cheese mixture is all bubbly and browned slightly.
If serving a crowd or using a whole loaf of french of sourdough bread make as much as you need. Just use equal amounts of the cheese, mayo and butter.

Well I have already been to the dreaded grocery store this morning. Grocery shopping is not a fave of mine but it is out of the way for another week.
I still have things I need to accomplish today so I best get at them. I want to relax in my chair for at least an hour this afternoon with my nose in my book. This one is a page turner, so totally hard to set it down.

Till later
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment