Tuesday, December 14, 2010

ZO'S SCALLOPED POTATOES



















These are such good potatoes. When I serve up scalloped potatoes for company they always disappear, not even a leftover spoonful.
I think the secret is making a Bechamel sauce and adding my seasonings and cheese to that. I also add another layer of cheese over the top with either some scallions, or in this case a few sliced jalenpeno's a sprinkle of paprika and into the oven for a hour and fifteen minutes (or until the potatoes are tender) at 400 degrees.
We had this dish last night with a side of broccoli and biscuits. Not exactly low cal but I used portion control believe me I could have eaten another portion easily.
As far as the recipe is concerned. Basically just make a white sauce enough to cover all the ingredients in the casserole dish. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chicken broth and a cup of cheese to the sauce. Take the time to make your sauce slowly so it is really creamy and well blended. Then I sprayed a little cooking oil in the bottom of my casserole for easy cleanup. I put in four potatoes that had been sliced thin, topped them with sweet onions sliced thin, added a half rope of kielbasa cut into rounds. I added all of the sauce over the top and topped with additional cheese, jalapeno slices and paprika. I used a 7x11 casserole which is perfect for the two of us.

The sun is out this morning and coming brightly through the dirty living room windows. I must take care of that issue today. Yesterday I cleaned windows in the kitchen and nook, I so like sparkling clean windows.

We made a decision not to get a xmas tree this year. As far as I know no one is joining us for Christmas though my daughter he her honey will be here for New Years weekend. So yesterday I began creating a holiday scene in the house without the tree. I have a number of area's glowing with twinkly lights. There are snowflakes hanging in the windows on long ribbons. I have filled the old antique oil lamps with red oil and many candles adorn the tables. Today hubby and I will add twinkly lights in the kitchen area. I love the atmosphere that the little lights give to a home. I listened to Christmas C.D's yesterday while decorating, that is a tradition for me.

Hubby is away for a while this morning as he has a couple of bids. Work has been so slow so this is good news. Hopefully he will land both jobs. I will tidy the house and walk before he returns. Then we can work on hanging those kitchen lights.

Where ever you are enjoy the day. It is mild here through chillier than it has been for a while. At least we do not have to deal with those terrible snow storms that the upper Midwest is getting. Horrible. No thanks! Give me the good old NW any day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment