Wednesday, January 26, 2011

BEEF STROGANOFF

This was the best stroganoff I have ever eaten. Wow! The meat was amazing, so tender and juicy it just melted in your mouth. The sauce was so flavorful. With the touch of tomato paste the color turned a rich rusty gold. I did not make home made noodles as planned, I suppose I just got lazy. So I served with Rotini which worked out great. The sauce stuck in all the little curly parts of the pasta.
This recipe is from the Vinter,s cookbook my daughter gave me for my birthday.

Here is the recipe.
Beef stroganoff

1 pound of sirloin steak cut into 1/4 inch strips
5-6 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
4 tablespoon butter divided( I like to use Smart Balance cubes)
1/2 pound of white or crimini mushrooms sliced thin
1 medium sliced yellow onion
1 large clove of garlic minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can of beef broth(about one and a half cups)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sherry(I used white wine)
a sprinkle of nutmeg(fresh grated is best)
Freshly ground black pepper
Freshly chopped Italian parsley for garnish( I skipped this as I served it rustic style right out of the black iron skillet.

Sprinkle about three tablespoons of flour in a flat bottom bowl and dredge the steak slices. Heat a heavy skillet and add 2 tablespoon of butter. When the butter is sizzling hot add the meat and quickly brown on all sides(do not overcook the meat), Add the mushroom, onions, garlic and cook till the onion is barely tender.
Remove this mixture from the pan and add the remaining butter to the pan drippings. When melted blend in 3 tablespoons of flour, add the tomato paste, using a whisk slowly add the beef broth stirring constantly to avoid making any lumps. Cook stirring until the mixture thickens. Return the meat mixture to the pan, add the sour cream, sherry or wine and the nutmeg stir to incorporate, season with salt and pepper, heat thoroughly but DO NOT overcook.
Serve over egg noodles or rice. You can then top each serving with a small dollop of sour cream and a little more ground nutmeg and parsley.

This recipie serves 4 to 6. So with our small appetites we are having it again tonight. We are looking forward once again to this meal. Amazing flavor, juicy tender meat, creamy sauce. Ahhh life is good!

I will leave you now. The house chores are calling my name, darn them!
Till later

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment