Sunday, January 2, 2011

MT. HOOD OREGON

January 2.
Another photo compliments of my son. My son called me Thursday from where this picture was taken. He was sitting on his snowmobile as we chatted. It was eighteen degree's and as he put it, it was an epic day!

We had a very lazy day yesterday. We did manage to stay up till after one A.M. so we saw the Times Square event. Actually we put it on about eleven thirty. We were to busy playing games. We are sure gammers, just one kind after the other. Sometimes I wonder how we would fare in our lives without games.

Our meal new years eve was amazing and this is all we did. We heated oil in our electric fondue pot and fried salt and pepper shrimp and then dunked them in garlic, lemon butter or a spicy red cocktail sauce. We had a nice green salad to go with and that was it! We bought a pound of large shrimp for the two of us so we consumed a lot of shrimp. We stretched the dinner time out by just frying one or two shrimp at a time. We dined by oil lamp and candlelight as we did for Christmas eve. I was sipping a nice bottle of Prosecco brut , hubby is not much of a champagne guy so I did not have to share!

Yesterday hubby made the appetizers he had seen on food network. They were yummy.
Egg wrappers with a piece of salami and a half piece of string cheese tucked inside and then rolled tucking the edge in. They were then dipped in egg and a combination of seasoned bread crumbs and panko crumbs then deep fried in the wok. I made a homemade marinara sauce for dipping. Before you assemble the egg wrapper use an egg wash and paint with a pasty brush around the edges of the wrapper so it will stick together. Use the remaining egg wash to dip the wrappers in before rolling into the crumbs.
They were fun to make and yummy. We are thinking of all kinds of things we can tuck into their centers for next time. It was fun watching his big fingers maneuvering the intricacies of assembly. He let me make only one.

I am looking forward to my walk today as the sun is out there are only a few clouds hanging about. We woke to 23 degree's and that is chilly for this southern Willamette valley. I read in the paper this morning that walking is good for your brain. Getting good blood flow to your brain while walking helps you hang onto your memory as well as the other benefits you receive from walking. Six to nine miles a week is what is needed. I walk between one and two miles per day most days weather permitting. So I certainly will keep up the pace for 2011. I want to keep my brain as long as possible, a good goal I think!

I fixed pork chops simmered in sauerkraut with smashed red potatoes for dinner last night. It is such a good dish. My Mother always had pork and sauerkraut every year for New Years day. An old tradition from her Yugoslavian heritage I believe.

Well best get on with my fave day, Sunday. A laid back day of doing whatever I like.
Have a wonderful 2011.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment