Thursday, January 13, 2011

ZO'S CRABBY CAKES

Amazing crab cakes. Yum! They were mostly crab with very little filler.
I will give you my recipe at the end of this blog. I did vary from my regular recipe for fish cakes a small bit. There was so much crab I knew I could not make patties and roll in panko as I usually do. So instead I incorporated a little panko right into the cakes, put the mixture on a wide flat bottomed spoon and patted it into shape and then slid it with the help of another utensil into the to hot oil. Only turning once they turned out perfectly browned with a crispy exterior giving way to a juicy tender center.
We just served them with a lemon wedge and a scoop of rice with pea's. I made a very simple aloi sauce to drizzle over the cakes.

I have started a new routine. The weather has been wet and so foul that my walk has become a problem. As I am not one to exercise other than my walk I needed to think of something to do indoors. Well our home is all hardwood floors and we have a one story house. So I thought, well if need be I could walk for a period of time just around and around throughout the house. Well I tried it and it was OK but so terribly boring I thought I would go mad. So the next day I flipped the radio on a exuberant station and thought I will walk to music. But once I started walking I noticed I was dancing also to the beat of the music. Well now this was much better. Dancing and walking at the same time. I also grabbed my hand weights and started swinging my arms to the beat. As each song is different with different beats as the music changed so did my walk and my movements. No this was really getting fun. The first two days I did this for twenty-five minutes non stop, yesterday I went thirty minutes non stop. I am going to continue the thirty minutes for a week or so. This exercise makes me tired as I am moving faster than when I walk. Now I usually walk for about forty-five minutes so I will continue every week to increase the time I spend dance/walking. See now it even has a real name. Well I love to dance, and I like to walk. So what could be better on a nasty ol' day when I cannot get outside?

Hubby and I were going to have his sis and brother-in-law for seafood dinner this weekend. However hubby is working the weekend. So now no plans. Maybe just as well as my house has suffered over the past week or so and could certainly use a good cleaning. Ugh! I really do not mind some chores at all. But bathroom showers and toilets.......please. Who truthfully would ever like that chore?
Well now how I am going to cut to the recipe after discussing bathroom cleaning? Good grief never thought of that!

Regardless here is the recipe
ZO's CRABBY CAKES
six green onions chopped fine
canola oil for frying
16 oz. of crab meat(I used more)
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon mayo
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Dab of horseradish
cracker crumbs for binding
1/4 cup panko crumbs
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon lemon zest

In a medium size bowl beat the egg add the green onions, mayo, mustard, horseradish, seasonings and zest. Mix well together. Now add the cracker crumbs about a quarter of a cup. Mix. Now fold in the crab I like to keep as big of pieces as possible. Now this is where you add the panko just adding enough so it binds loosely together. The mix will be wet, it should be. That is why you handle it carefully. Like I mentioned above take a good size flat bottomed serving spoon and get a scoop of the mixture. Then take your fingers and press down into the spoon to form a cake of sorts. The oil should already be hot in your skillet at this point. You want the depth of the oil to cover the crab cake by half. As you make the cakes slide them into the hot oil. I slide them off my spoon carefully with my finger and use a wooden spoon to guide them in. If they fall apart a little just carefully tuck them back together. Let them completely brown on one side before turning. They will stay together once they start to brown. When the second side is browned, remove to a parchment paper lined plate. You can keep them warm by putting foil over the top or setting in a 200 degree oven while you fry more cakes.
This recipe made four good sized cakes. But you could easily use a smaller spoon and make eight smaller cakes.

I know I was to long winded explaining the frying process but it is a little tricky especially when you have a lot of crab in the patty.

Well I best get on with my day. Also I am hungry. There is a yummy Chobani Greek yogurt waiting in my fridge. This is the best yogurt I have ever eaten. My daughter told me about it and she is so right. It is thick and creamy the texture is like velvet in my mouth. Speaking of my mouth it is watering and I am on my way to kitchen now.

Buy some fresh crab and make some Crabby cakes! You will not be disappointed.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment