Thursday, August 18, 2011

AH BEAUTIFUL SUMMER


Posted by PicasaDon't you just love summer? When the underground sprinklers came on this morning early I took this photo in the center.It was much more grand viewed through the window with the sun sparkling off the water spray. Looked quite magical. 


I am going to share with you one of my fave summer recipes of all time.
PASTA with FRESH HEIRLOOM TOMATOES AND SHRIMP IN CREAM SAUCE.
6 fresh heirloom tomatoes(or substitute any other large garden variety)
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic
tablespoons butter 

fresh parsley
oregano
basil
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream 
fresh cooked pasta
1 pound of medium shrimp deviened and peeled


Blanch and peel skins from tomatoes, chop tomatoes, put in bowl with the herbs and seasonings and let stand one hour. You can use fresh herbs is you like.
Melt butter in a large pan. Add onion and garlic and saute for 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn garlic.
Add the tomatoes and mix well. Cook over medium heat 1/2 hour. (You can clean your shrimp while this cooks.) Add shrimp and continue to cook until the shrimp are pink, then stir in the cream and heat through.
Serve over fresh cooked pasta of your choice.


I make this several times in the summer. In place of shrimp you can use mushrooms or chicken. 


It is a glorious day here in the Willamette Valley. I am trying to glean as much from each day as possible as I know it is a count down until fall.


When we return from Silver Lake I will need to make more zucchini relish as the zucchini's are taking over once more. I have given away most of the previous batches I have made this season. I will have to keep what I make now so we will have it to last us through the winter.
The other evening I made hubby meatloaf as he does love it and likes sandwiches from the leftovers. I served up the meatloaf with a little zucchini relish ladled to the side. That was a great combination of sweet and tart with the tender meatloaf with it's glistening glaze.
What I do for a glaze on meatloaf is this. In a small bowl put in about a third cup of ketchup add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a couple teaspoons of brown sugar a little salt and pepper. Mix well and spread over the top of the meatloaf. Try this, it is good. 


Well I must get back to folding clothes. It turned out being my laundry day today. I am hoping for a hour or so on the deck this afternoon with my nose in yet another book.
Till Later.



No comments:

Post a Comment