Monday, August 29, 2011

VACATION AT SILVER LAKE WA.


Posted by PicasaA wonderful six days we spent on this lake with my brother. I took almost fifty photo's this place just urges you to use your camera.
As you see in the photo's there are Blue Heron's. There are many of these birds and they appear prehistoric when they lift their huge wings in flight. We never tired of watching them. The owls at night were so loud with their screeching it was hard for hubby to sleep in his little tent. I spent a night in the backpacking tent with him to hear their calls, oh how loud they were! Regardless every other aspect of this little adventure was wonderful. The food was simple and easy to prepare so it did not take away from my being self indulgent. I read all the magazines I toted along as well as a good deal of the sequel to  Under the Tuscan Sun which is called Bella Tuscany. Just more page turning details of life in the Tuscany region. I lazed the days away sprawled in my red beach chair reading and dozing and reading and dozing. Hubby took a photo of me just sacked out in the chair with glasses askew my book having dropped to the ground. I will not be posting that one.


Back home to reality. Piles of dirty camp smoked laundry to tend to. I ran early the next morning for a few groceries to tide us over until my regular grocery shopping day on Thursday. Hubby has been busy mowing lawns, cleaning the car and tending the garden. The thing about a garden is that you wait forever it seems for the veggies to come on and then when they do you are in a panic to use them all. Right now the tomatoes are so thick and heavy on the vines hubby had to reinforce them as well as the peppers. We have been eating bright red juicy tomatoes non stop since arriving home. Tomorrow evening we will have spaghetti made with fresh tomato sauce, oh what a difference that makes.
A tomato tart is on this weeks menu as well as we are making Salsa fresca. My husband and I just shared a tomato, sweet onion and cucumber sandwich all from our garden. It was so yummy with a sprinkle of salt and pepper on good nutty whole grain bread.
This afternoon I need to make up a big batch of zucchini relish to sit overnight in the fridge before processing in the morning. The rest of the week will be making zucchini bread and cucumber salads. 


We are going to my daughters and her honey's home for Labor Day weekend. They live in Vancouver WA. We will all watch the OREGON game on Saturday evening. All of us are big fans. I am sure we will have a grand time as they are such a fun couple. Hopefully my son will be able to join us also. So once again we will driving up the interstate to WA.


Once summer slips away and we slide into fall I will be better about posting food photo's and recipes. Seems I am just to busy to even think about it most evenings now. This after-all is a cooking blog (of sorts). I should have taken the time last night as we had a great meal. We love grilled flat iron steaks they are so tender and juicy if done correctly. I put my steak rub on both sides early in the day and tucked into the fridge. Hubby made his cucumber salad and I roasted Klondike Gold potatoes in the oven and I sliced up freshly picked tomatoes to go along side. The meal seemed like perfection to us, we hummed eating this simple summer meal.


I received new batches of baby photo's of little Jack and Audrey. So I will be posting those soon. What adorable little ones. Also I will post a photo of our heavy laden tomato plants.


I had better get on with my day once again it is a busy one.
You all enjoy the last dog days of summer, I am sure I will.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment