Monday, August 15, 2011

UNDER THE TUSCUN SUN


Posted by PicasaFor those of you who have only seen the movie the book is really a good read. And of course as with all books made into a screenplay much was changed for the film version.
I enjoyed this book so much. Buying a home in Italy is as distant for me as living on the moon. Even traveling to Italy now seems out of reach. So to read a book that is so descriptive of the Tuscany region an area inhabited by Etruscan's long before Romans is a treasure. The book leads you on an adventure, page after page of exploring and enjoying this ancient region. I walked through the rooms with the author, I cooked with her in her makeshift kitchen, I worked with her in the olive grove and could almost taste the white pears simmering in red wine that was a favorite desert. The book also has rustic summer and winter recipes indigenous of the land. As all the ingredients for cooking come from the area living off the land is totally a truism there it is a way of life that has sustained for centuries. 
In the photo is the Villa Barmasole that was restored by Francis Mayes the author and her husband Ed. When purchased it was nothing but a crumbling hovel but with good bones as they say. The stone wall above the house dates from the 8th century B.C. Hard to comprehend.  So once again I have fallen in love with a book. I finished the last chapter this morning while having my coffee and as the last words came to an end I regretfully closed the book, traced my fingers over the cover and tenderly placed it in my bookcase.


The Willamette valley is amazing today. I sense a touch of autumn has begun. The sky is a deeper blue, there is a shift in the air, leaves have started to drift down from the tree over hanging our deck and geese have flown over the house the past two mornings.  I know before to long the nights will be cooler and the days will become shorter but I so want the summer warmth to linger into October.


Today I am out to the farms to buy assorted vegetables and fruits. I just now looked at the time and I had best get on with my to-do's. The day as I say is slip sliding away.
I do have dinner prep underway however. Tonight we are using the grill basket and into the basket I will toss, assorted peppers, onions, zucchini of course and garlic. I will drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill until all is getting somewhat charred. Then I will toss in large marinated shrimp and squeeze fresh lemon over until all is sizzling and the shrimp are pink. This will be served over white rice and to the side I will serve fresh garlic green beans.
This is why the run to the farm today. Veggies and more veggies. Oh summer how heavenly you are!


Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment