Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blackened Salmon in a cast iron skillet



Posted by PicasaThis fish was grand. Spicy and blackened on the outside and moist and flaky on the inside. I surely did not want to over cook it so easy to do with fish. I made my fave aioli sauce to go with and sauteed squash with cilantro, onions and garlic.
Here is what I used for the rub for my fish. I applied the rub both sides of the fillet after removing the skin. Then I wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for about two hours.
This amount of rub will coat four pieces the size in the skillet photo.


2 teaspoons of kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Curry powder
2 teaspoons cumin 
2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
Mix all together well and rub on fish.


Heat a black iron skillet to hot with canola oil covering the bottom.
Sear one side of the salmon turn and sear the other side. Do not over cook after both sides are crusted,using a fork just gently pry the fish if it still hangs together tightly it is not ready,  fry a little longer turning. You can adjust the hot skillet to a notch or below high.
Serve with Aoli sauce, lemon wedges and salad or veggies, rice etc.
So yummy.


Aioli sauce. 
1/2 cup mayo
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
a sprinkle of ground red pepper( or cayenne)
black pepper to taste.
Mix well serve along side fish or chicken.


A stormy pacific northwest day today. Lots of wind gusts and never ending rain. The streets are a wash and the windows are blurred with rain.
It is quite cozy inside however and I am a cozy sort of gal so I am content.
I have my Pandora radio station set to 'After the rain" quite appropriate . When you set up that station you will get amazing piano artists. No lyric's just wonderful soul wrenching music. I love it on a day like today.


We had such a good time with my brother in Washington. We also met our great, great, nephew and niece. What sweet little ones. I am so happy for my great neices that they have darling babies. Their Mother my dear niece Chris has been gone from us now for over two years. I could not help but think of her often while playing with the babies. She would have so adored to be a grandma. She would have been amazing in that role.


Well hubby is out giving a bid for refinishing a hardwood floor and hopefully we will get the job. Work is slow this month.
I had better finish up my house chores as I belive we are going to play scrabble again this afternoon.
I was ahead throughout the whole game yesterday but at the last I could not place my V so hubby won by three points. So I am thinking there needs to be a rematch. Nothing better than board games on stormy days.


Have a good day no matter what the outdoor circumstances are right now. Stay warm and dry.
Ciao















No comments:

Post a Comment