Sunday, January 29, 2012

COULD I BE HERE PLEASE?


Posted by Picasa I feel you know me well from what I write as I wear my heart on my sleeve. You know I am not materialistic at all. But the one thing I would wish for if were possible to have such dreams is to travel to interesting and beautiful places like this place in Italy. However there also many places in the good ol U S of A that would be grand too I am thinking.
I was fortunate as a child as my father was a traveler. At a very young age I traveled much of the Untied States. Starting with my first adventure at four years of age I traveled by train with my Mother from the old farm where I grew up in Oregon to Detroit Michigan where my Mom's family lived. Can you imagine the trains in 1946? I still have the little children s menu's from the dining car. They look like new as I have kept them in a safe place ever since my Mother gave them to me over 50 years ago. I recall certain things on that trip. One was a black porter. I should say African American as I do not mean offend anyone but in those days that was the term. This one particular  porter took a liking to me. I was only four and I was very cute(I was) no brag just fact. He always tried to elicit talk out of me but being very shy I  would not say a word. then he would tease saying, hey little girl has the cat got your tongue? I still would not respond. I just remember looking down at my shoes my face burning and my Mother saying something for me. I recall getting into in my bed at night on the train. We had a sleeping car and my berth was above my Mother's and she would help me up into the small bed. I would snuggle in and then not pull the shade at the window as I liked to go to sleep looking at the landscape whizzing by. The click-clack of the train on the tracks and whistle frequently blowing kept me awake but then the same sounds would eventually lull me to sleep. It took days to get to Detroit.  That was my first experience with travel that I recall and I think it set something off in me a quenching for adventure that may never be filled as I love to go and go.
From that point on it was traveling with my Father, Mother and little brother by car. I can remember going across the united states at least five times to the east to visit family there. There were also many trips to different area's my Dad would get a yen to see. Like the southwest, the Dakota's, Canada as family was there the also. One year we drove to Ft. Lauderdale  Florida and stayed for six months. I spent most of my sophomore year at Ft. Lauderdale High school. That school was huge and I was overwhelmed. However I did so well in my studies I actually got on the honor roll. It was hard work in the classrooms too. The teachers were so different from Rainier High school in Oregon where I attended. The teachers allowed you no slack in my new high school. There were no excuses for missing homework or homework turned it late. It was so quiet in the classrooms no one whispering or note passing, all things I was very accustomed to.
I got acquainted with two wonderful gals that were more academic than social. Judy was from Indiana and Bunny was from North Carolina. Both were snow birds as I was. Meaning they had their main homes in other parts north and were spending the winters in Florida which they did every year.  We became fast friends. They were in most of my classes. We studied hard we got good grades, we went to the beach after school, we ate off campus most days at a little burger joint that had the best plain and simple burgers. A soft greasy grilled bun a few dill pickle slices and a yummy patty and some mustard that was it. We loved them as they were as cheap as a hot lunch or packing a lunch, my Mother did not mind. 
It really was a wonderful experience for me though I surely did not want to go when my parents mentioned going for the winter. But when it was time to return to Oregon I did not want leave Florida. I had made a new little nest right there in Ft. Lauderdale. My friend Judy lived on one of many canals that led to downtown. They had a boat and on weekends the three of us gals would jump into Judy's Dad's boat and he would tour us around via the canals to downtown where we were dropped off to go the movies or shop for clothes. It was really fun and something so different from my Oregon life.


Travel now does not coincide with my life at this point. As my hubby is not retired and will not be for a long time we try to glean what we can out of small trips near our area. But one never knows what the future will hold.
In the first fifteen years of our marriage together we did a lot of traveling. We were building homes at the time and the money was there and the time was available. After finishing a home we would take a break after we put the house  on the market. We worked so hard and so long for months at a time we needed to take vacations to recharge our batteries.
We traveled four times to various islands in the Caribbean staying two weeks or more at a time. Also we traveled a good deal in the united states. Through the southwest and south. Also we enjoyed many trips to Canada and saw much of British Columbia as well as Alberta. So we have had a good deal of travel in the past and I am thankful for that.
I do have a few places in my mind to visit and I hope those trips will come about.


Now as this blog is primarily about food I must get back on track. And not a train track!
Tonight we are having shredded beef enchilada's with a new enchilada sauce recipe that sounds good and three kinds of cheese. I will also make a dish of mexi rice and beans. I have a easy fix for the rice and beans that I will share with the photo's of dinner. 


We are out and about today for a little outing. We feel a need to get out of the house. The air is cold the sky is blue with little ribbons of  wispy clouds.
When I looked out the windows this morning there was still frost on the rooftops of the nearby houses and smoke slowly curling from chimney's.
I made coffee in my new coffee maker. I love it. I ground beans and set the machine for robust flavor. It was good to sit and look outdoors at the cold and sip my rich coffee and be warm and cozy indoors.


Well I must get on with my day time is slip sliding away.
Right now I need a bowl of multi grain cheerio's which I will scatter blueberries over top and add a splash of soy milk. A typical breakfast for me at eleven.


Have a great weekend. Hope you see some sun it brightens ones spirit.
Later. 





No comments:

Post a Comment